If you recieve child support, but then he sends you money in the mail also... is that considered a gift?

My daughter's bio told me the other day that "there is something in the mail for Angel". Which usually means he is sending her a money order (it's never much, and usually his mom gives him the money for it). Is that considered a gift or do I report that to the child support people?
I asked a customer service lady today and she said to consider it a gift. But she isn't my actual child support case manager. And I can't seem to get through to the case manager.

What would you think?

I'm shocked he sent anything knowing he has support to start paying this month. (It just went to court and he is supposed to start paying this month.) He certainly hasn't ever sent her anything before except for one or two instances.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 12:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• If the case is handled through Child Support Enforcement (or whatever it's referred to in your state) anything sent directly to you is IN ADDITION TO NOT IN LIEU OF child support---meaning it is a gift, or something extra. It does NOT count as a child support payment. You can also check your child support paperwork and sometimes it is clearly in there that anything sent directly to you is in addition to. If he sends something directly to your daughter it is definitely NOT child support.
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I photo copy all money orders or checks and put them in a file. I think if he is ordered to pay thru the courts then anything sent to the hous eis a gift but you should still track it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I would consider it a gift.. if it isn't ordered. But you should still keep track of everything like that. Just in case the courts want to know something, you will be prepared.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:38 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i went thru the same thing about a year ago...im in canada tho, so i dont know how different it would be..but i know when this all started i was told if he ever gave me money for anything, i had to report it, so they could keep it on file..so thats what i was doing..and then they told me that if he gives me cash or chequ or what not i dont need to report it.....
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Its a gift... for her.... If you have court order child support anything else that is sent is a gift.... & as he said its for your daughter, its for her.......

Just make a photocopy or log it under gift & let her have fun with the money. =)
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 12:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2010