so awful

i am a sahm to 2 kids, 21 months and 3 months. neither have ever been in a child care situation. i attended MOPS today for the first time. the youngest did great, but my 21 month old freaked out the whole 2 hours he was in the child care room. what can i do to make this better for him. i enjoyed myself very much while there and i really want to continue, in the long run i think it will be great for all of us. they have 2 way mirrors, and i check on him a few times. once i saw him curled up on the floor crying, which was how he was for the first hour. after that he finally got up but still cried. he didnt act out towards anyone and didnt want to be bothered really, but he was so upset. it hurt so much to hear him yelling mommy mommy the whole time. and its only once a month, so i dont even know if he will ever get used to it.

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 12:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• find other opporunities to socialize your little guy....it's hard...I have twin boys who are in nursery at church, and one of them is totally fine and the other one just clings to whoevers in there! he's now warming up and it's been 2 months, once a week.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 12:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• He'll get use to it. They almost always cry the first few times durning stuff like this. As long as hes not being mean, let him be. or at least give it a few times. He might start to enjoy it.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 12:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'd recommend more outings. Look into local school run playgroups. Eventually he will get used to being away from mommy in new places. it just takes time. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 12:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• it will get easier. and he will be fine. if no one was hurting (which i doubt they would at MOPS) and all his needs were taken care of (other than you) it's just seperation anxiety. keep going, it will build his self confidence to be alone with a group of peopl he is unfamiliar with. you're being a better mom by teaching him this.
    Hollea

Answer by Hollea at 12:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• MOPS is good, but I think you need to first do what is best for your children. I had to leave mops because my youngest did not do well in childcare. My priority if first my children. mops is a great recource for moms, and you can make a lot of friends, but its not worth it if my children are screaming for me the entire time... which is why I left.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• btw, our mops also has playdates as well, I will attend those if I can. I still get to connect with other moms without leaving my children
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Can you have some play dates with other moms so he gets used to other children? Go to your local libray for story hour and he can see other children there too.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Have him bring something he loves with him. A favorite truck or anything. It's normal in the beginning. Soon he will love it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• we go to story hour, and one of the kids in his room is in our story hour group. but he was already freaking by the time she got there. i dont think he would have cared anyways. i am planning on bringing his dora doll that he sleeps with (yes a dora doll haha) next time, hoping that helps. thank you all
    sweetjpea

Comment by sweetjpea (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'm a SAHM and we just use the nursery once a week during Sunday morning's service. We are lucky though that if a child is having problems, they flash the child's name on a light up screen so you can go help him. Maybe you can work something out with your church where you ask to be notified if he hasn't settles down with 15 minutes? The 15 minutes could turn into 20 and so on until he is ok for the full hour and 1/2. This would be a weekly routine instead of a monthly one, so he might get used to it sooner? Then when you do the mops, he would be more acclimated. Hope this helps! :)
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 9:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2010