What Keeps You Motivated To Exercise?

I have good intentions, but never stick to it and I weigh more than I ever have. HELP!!

TALuke

Asked by TALuke at 12:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I found a time of day that works for me - first thing in the morning, before dd is awake. Before she was born, getting/staying in shape for pregnancy was my motivation. Now, it's maintaining how I look and how much healthier I feel. I also set goals for myself - certain speed on the treadmill, or completing a difficult workout dvd. I also start each day fresh - I try to exercise every day. It certainly doesn't happen, but each day is a blank slate to try again.
    kimberlyann_214

Answer by kimberlyann_214 at 1:15 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I am a PRO at making excuses and procrastinating. I'm telling you, I could make a career out of this ... Tomorrow. In all honesty it takes a hell of a lot of push and false motivation to get me into the right state of mind. At first it's like a cat getting a bath. They claw, they bite, they yowel, they do whatever they can to avoid getting a bath. But I keep telling myself .. "Nothing is going to change if I don't change it." And sometimes that's all I need to get going, other times I have to force myself to get up and excersise. After a few days of excersising I start to feel better. More energy, more limber, better posture, etc. I start to notice that my body is positively responding and that helps. I still get that voice though, that negative nelly that hates the idea of me accomplishing something. So I distract myself. I watch TV while I'm working out, I listen to music, I take the kids on a walk, etc.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:31 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I have a picture of me holding my DD after I had her I was size 8 it is my goal again
    nikkole42

Answer by nikkole42 at 1:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I remember how I felt when my knees hurt so bad after going up a flight of stairs. And I keep a picture of myself at my heaviest and ask myself if I want to go back again. Looks like I had a face-and-a-half! It is no easy task, by any means. But don't give up. You can do it! Try different things until you find what works for you. When I made up my mind to get back in shape( and I am NOT there yet!) I took the pressure off. I only committed that I would see progress by my 40th birthday, which was in October. That was all. I didn't commit to a set number, only that I wanted to see some progress. So when I did, it gave me the motivation to keep going.
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 1:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• one time i signed up for a triathlon, and once i paid that $50 fee, i was not going to quit!
    sometimes i get up early, and start exercising before i am really fully awake!
    i have 5 kids now, and the gym i go to has child care, so i love to go now because it is really my only "me" time : )
    you could hang up a picture of yourself at the weight you want to get back to...that has motivated some...maybe put it on the fridge!
    weight watchers has a great reputation.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• how miserable i feel when i'm too heavy... remembering that is what keeps me going...
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 2:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I literally have it in my schedule every day. If I skipped it I'd feel terrible the rest of the day so I do it.
    MamaDee2003

Answer by MamaDee2003 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Now it is that I gave away all my old clothes and nothing would fit me anymore! LOL

When I first started I'm really not sure, I just wanted to be thin again super bad and didn't give up.
    PrincessPeach06

Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 4:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It's just part of my routine. If I'm not working, I get up at about 645, have a cup of coffee, freshen up and then I hit the trail-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I am paranoid of becoming overweight. There are a lot of people in my family who are very obese, and that scares me. I don't want to be like that. I want to be healthy and live as long as possible. I don't want to die from the same illnesses that have claimed some of my family members at young ages (between 50 and 65).
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 12:27 PM on Sep. 16, 2010