What would you do if your teen had plans like this! Please read down below!

Your son or daughter went to school on the first week! Than when they came home! They where not happy about school at all anymore! But they won't tell you what happend to them at school! And they tell you that they do not want to go to the high school that they where going too! And that they want to get there GED instead and they also told you that they want to go to aprintence ship school after they get there GED! But when there dad finds out about this! He just yells and screams at them for the choice that they made! how would you feel if this all happend to you?

babyboomer1977

Asked by babyboomer1977 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Two of my children didn't want to go to high school. They got jobs. One took his GED the day he was old enough and got an honors GED. We didn't even know there was and nonors GED. He went to Purdue nursing school. He had no problems getting accepted at Purdue, IU, and Ball State. He was a RN by the time he was 19 and making $50 when he was 24.

My other son has an IQ of 80 and doctors said he would never read. He reads great. He can't pass the math on the GED. He is 22 has a good job, owns his own home with a pool, and is going to college with a 3.13 GPA. Kids don't have to go to high school.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:07 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I would seriously be talking to your child to really see what the problem is for sure and maybe you might even talk to the counslor at the school as well to advise him/her what the situation is. For you DH, no he should not yell like that. It really could make things worse for the child. Sit and talk is the best thing and if your dh can not settle down long enough, then you have a problem with him as well. Your child comes first. Then deal with him.....dh
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 1:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I agree! The bottom line is the kid is still a minor and can't just make this decision on their own, however I would tell them that if they will have an adult conversation with you and give you the complete story you will listen with an open mind, and discuss what the possible solutions are to the problem. I understand Dad's frustration, but he needs to get it in control if he wants to get anywhere.

Your kid does need to understand, that you are still responsible for them, and are still supporting them, so they ultimate decision has to be yours.

Good Luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You need to find out what happened to make your child choose this! THAT IS THE KEY!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 1:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• How would I feel?? Id be diapointed & also concerned as to why this is happening & how does my child feel!!! There is a Big reason this is happening!! Instead of yelling getting to the root of the problem to help my child would be my first reaction. Yelling only helps a child shutdown & turn all of whats happening into more fear!
    Goodluck!!
    bell3

Answer by bell3 at 1:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• maybe they could finish doing home school? Insight offers free home schooling in certin states..
    But I would want to know why? My little bro and sis are in homeschool now due to not wanting to be in high school. In todays time kids are mean and with all the pressures, if thats why they choose. I think it's a good stand on their part
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 1:08 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My son the nurse was making $50 an hour, not just $50 LOL

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Talk to your teen and husband. Have them both calm down. Find out WHY your teens hates school. Sometimes it is a bully issue, or something else happened to them. Maybe they honestly do not like the school.

Maybe a school counselor can help him figure out what is best path to take.

I would do whatever makes my teen happy. At least getting the GED is a good place to start. Having a career or trade is a GOOD thing. At least he has a goal in mind.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 1:15 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• From experience it is a BAD idea to drop out of school and get your GED. Though the GED is tolerated and seen the same as a diploma, a lot of colleges and jobs/careers look down on you for having a GED. Dropping out of school is just herself allowing to give up on whatever it was that was bothering her. It's just her running away from a problem. If she doesn't face the problem now then she'll keep running away from more things in the future. Seriously, I speak from experience and have known other people who've gone down the same path. I really urge you to have her talk to the school counselor and encourage her to stay in school. HEr father took the wrong approach. There's no need for yelling, screaming, and blaming. That only exacerbates the situation. Just talk with her like an adult and explain to her why you feel it's the wrong choice.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Wanting to drop out to get a GED is just the effect of a cause.Finding out what is driving this decision is what both parents need to be doing.You may be able to find a solution to the problem and this reaction may disappear.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 3:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2010