My MIL will be taking care of my baby. Is it unreasonable of me to ask her to stay close to home and not travel up and down the highway to visit relatives and shop at the mall? Be honest.

momof2boys423

Asked by momof2boys423 at 10:32 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in General Parenting

• No it's not this is your child and if she wants to go some where she needs to ask your permission. I went through the same thing and i found out later that my MIL was taking my baby everywhere....I know i am a worry wart but if you want to get in touch with her you need to know where your baby is!!!
    Anonymous

• Your the mom so whatever you want is up to you. Can you trust her or are you just nervous b/c you wont be there? I personally would let her go where she wants. Go with your gut :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 10:37 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• If she can avoid it then yes it's perfectly fine for you to give her guidlines as to what you need her to do. You're the mother and what you want is what should go for your child.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 11:08 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I have big trust issues with my MIL so by all means you tell her what is ok when she is watching your child and what isnt ok. My mother in law didnt like my rules that I had set and she went behind my back and broke them and ended up putting my 5 month old son(at the time) in a deadly situation. I highly recommend you set the boundries and guidelines now.. Good luck.
    BrensMomma

Answer by BrensMomma at 11:17 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• You have every right to give instructions for how you would like your child cared for and your MIL has every right to decline babysitting.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 11:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• you are the mom, so i would voice it if it concerns you.. if you get along w her well though, i dont see what the big deal is? when my kids are w my MIL i just call to say goodnight becuase i KNOW they're safe. and where ever she takes them, im fine with. also, my children are 2 and 3 now..is your baby a newborn?? if my kids were newborns i still wouldnt mind, i would ask her to wait till my baby was just a little bit older.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:03 AM on Oct. 17, 2008