Childcare is for the birds!

Or rather looking for one is. I'm probably way too picky. Thought maybe I'd found one, that a friend uses, but I toured and I was not impressed. Plus it's way out of our way.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 1:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I called and spoke to a lot fo places first, then when I was happy with the way we spoke on the phone and their programs I would go visit. I went to maybe three plaes before I fell head over heels in love with our current daycare! lol

They had everything I wanted and they have been excellent.

I am very happy with how picky I was. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Finding someone to care for your child in your home is best for your child. Second best is care in someone's home and your child is the only child she cares for besides her own.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I felt this way too - I kept waiting for that "its right" feeling everyone told me about and finally found one that was loving, newer, house with a yard, clean, kids of her own and wanted to keep it smaller so it was more nuturing, has a preschool cirriculum and is close to my work ( which is only a bonus, not a deal breaker ) I love her but.. I still don't know if I will EVER fully trust another person with my child 100% like others do.. good luck.. I know its hard.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:26 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• did you get a listing from your local child care resource and referral agency (www.childcareaware.org to find them)
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'm right there with you MaxsMom, lol. I will NEVER trust anyone else with my children 100%.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I found an awesome private preschool for my son. I toured over 15 preschools before deciding. He has attended 3 years now and it was awesome fit. It is hard b/c for me I have standards. I was not going to compromise on those standards. I could not imagine what daycare would be like for me! lol I am a working mom but very blessed to have had grandma watching our son before he started preschool.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I am not for or against childcare, it's just has never worked out for us! I'm picky too, and my kids have bad separation anxiety! I am a sahm for now until my youngest child starts school!
    mistie3480

Answer by mistie3480 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I was so in love with his daycare center that he was in and I wish he could have stayed (I may try to get him back in next summer and then for 4k), but they wouldn't because I wasn't going to use their pre-k program (I had him enrolled in Head Start) and he wasn't potty trained. But they were so close to my job and it was great! I realize I may need to go with home-based care and that's really hard for me after the two experiences I've had.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yeah I have a listing from our DFS website. Not a lot of choices available (home or center) for near my job. Near home would be ok, but I have to pick him up from Head Start and take him to daycare and going near my home would risk me getting back to work late.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• At this point, I wish I could just quit working and stay home with my son and just forget about having to look for childcare. Just not an option for us unfortunately.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 2:44 PM on Sep. 14, 2010