storing breastmilk

this weekend my grandmother might be taking my 3 week old for Friday and Saturday night. I have been breastfeeding. I would like to pump and send her breastmilk so she can feed him that instead of formula. Whats the easiest way for me to pump and still nurse so the baby gets enough? also how do I freeze breastmilk and unthaw it? can i put it in a ziploc baggie and date it for her? does she unthaw it under warm running water? i've never had to do that before. I also understand 3 weeks is a little early for him to go away for a night but my husband and I need a date night. please dont bash I'm not even sure if he's going to go with her just keeping my options open is he does.

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 1:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would pump when your baby is sleeping (either for a nap or has gone for the night). You could also nurse on one side and while doing that, pump on the other. I wouldn't nurse and then pump immediately after since you don't want to get engorged. When I need to store up milk, I start a week beforehand and pump each night after my daughter goes to bed.

For storage, they sell Breastmilk Storage bags at many stores that are safe for the freezer. You could also use Ziploc or even an ice cube tray. To defrost, run under water or sit in bowl of water. Once defrosted enough to pour into bottle, use a bottle warmer to heat to desired temp. Good luck!
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 1:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My daughter was a preemie and had to spend 3 months in the NICU; I pumped during that entire time and because she was so small and could in no way consume what I was putting out. I would freeze my breastmilk and bring it to the hospital so they had a supply to give her. Even once she was home, I drew from my supply of frozen milk. The hospital provided sterile containers for me to use and I would thaw it under warm running water. I think you should be OK!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 1:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• the ladies above said it :)
    I hope you have a wonderful date night!
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 2:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2010