What is a good non-hyperactive dog?

I am looking for one that gets along with children and can he indoors as well.

Misteh

Asked by Misteh at 1:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Pets

• Greyhounds are actually super lazy, believe it or not. Of course, whether or not they're good with kids depends on the individual dog... My best advice would be to go to your local shelter. They usually put the dogs through a temperament test, so they can tell you EXACTLY how lazy/hyper active they are, and how they are with kids.

If you're planning on getting a puppy, you're pretty much on your own though... In general, larger dogs are calmer than small ones. I have a lab/shepherd mix and a pit bull/shepherd mix, both over 80lbs, both lazy as can be. My friend has 2 chihuahuas that drive me insane with their nervous behavior after about 3 seconds...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Hmmm... I wish I knew the answer! Mine is very hyperactive. I let her outside into our HUGE backyard to run around and use some of that energy of hers and I swear she comes back in twice as hyper, LOL.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Mutt. It's best for the dog and for you if the dog is indoors. It will be more social if it isn't kept outdoors. I just got a dog and I went to the humane society 4 times before I was sure. I went alone and picked 3 to have them get out and show me. I went back with my Chihuahua to make sure they got along. I went back with my son. And then the 4th time I had them get her out again before I was sure. They were impressed and didn't feel bothered and held her for me from the first day I had interest. She has turned out to be a great dog. Shelter or rescue people will help you. It can help to go the first time without kids so you don't come home with a cute dog you aren't sure of. You can search for dogs on Petfinder.com.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• great dane. Mine is super with my 1 year old.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 1:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We have had many calm large dogs, ours and fosters. Right now my new 55 pound mutt (a beautiful brindle short haired shepard mix) is sprawled out on the couch and my 3 pound Chihuahua is asleep on my lap. Choosing the right dog is important. With many dogs you can't expect running around the yard to be enough. They need walks or a dog park. I would love to have a labradoodle. They are hard to find in shelters or rescues and cost thousands to buy because many people think they are the best dog ever. The are low shed, maybe low allergy, and have the best qualities of a lab. There was one that lived across the street and it was the funniest, greatest dog. Lab mixes are good. I LOVE having a doggie door and a secure fenced area.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:57 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It just depends on the dog. My Chi is calm and lets my toddler grandson carry him around. It is good to get a dog around a year that is housebroken. By that age you know what size and what personality you will be getting. I would never get a puppy. Kittens yes, puppies never. I wouldn't get a pit bull. I live in Tucson where it seems half of the dogs are pit bulls or pit bull mixes. I've been at rescue events with them and they have been very nice and someone will come along and they will go crazy. It may be just the pit bulls here that are unpredictable.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• The best thing to do is get an adult or young adult dog from a rescue or shelter. If you get a puppy of ANY breed you are are going to have a hyper active dog for anywhere from a year to three years depending on the breed. I foster for a rescue and it is great because we get to know the personalities of the dogs and can better place them in homes. If you contact a rescue with what you are looking for they can find the right dog to fit your needs. I have a silky terrier that is 7 years old and acts like he is still a puppy....he never stops going. I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old cavalier king charles and they are mostly calm....but need a good run in the yard a few times a day. I have a 9 year old dauchshund that was CRAZy until she hit abut 3 years old and now she is happiest laying in the sun. It all depends on the individual dog-which is why a rescue would be able to help you find the perfect match.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 2:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• depends on how u bring the dog up
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:17 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• A stuffed animal :)
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:14 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My maltese was great with my young children. She was not hyper at all.
    ttfntigger13

Answer by ttfntigger13 at 3:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2010