Why is it so hard to make friends with people my own age?

I'm almost 30... it seems like its next to impossible to meet and make friends with women my own age. I actively try to seek new friends out (we're an Army family so we move a lot!) but don't often get a lot of reciprocation.

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 1:44 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• I have a hard time making friends as well and I am 23. Most people I know my age don't have a child.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 1:44 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• im right there with you. im 31 and my two best friends dont live here. one lives in flo and the other in ak. other then my dh and family i dont really have anyone.
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 1:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Welcome to the boat.

I have ZERO in common with the moms of my sons' classmates. They hardly talk to me. I don't know if it's because I'm younger than they are (10 years or so, easily), they think divorce is contagious, they're snobs, or they're afraid I'm after their husbands (I"m not!)... but I feel a distinct, Desperate Housewives'-ish chill in the air when I show up at a school function.

My peers age-wise usually have kids MUCH younger than mine, if they have kids at all. So I feel like I've already been where they are, and it's hard for us to relate.

I've given up on trying to find RL friends and stick to the virtual ones. :)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I hear you.
    cloverlover24

Answer by cloverlover24 at 2:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'm in the same boat....I'm 21 and I'm not anything like anybody my own age...I don't go out and party or stay out all night...it's hard to relate to people who don't have kids and major responsibilities because they don't realize that I can't just ditch my child and go off and do something...and they don't realize that if I do take him somewhere with me with people my age that there's going to be diaper changes and tantrums and all of that.... I have a family, and a house, and a full time job being a mommy.
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Most women my age are still in party mode, while I have been doing the mommy thing for almost 10 years. I completely understand, and most of my friends are much older than I am.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I am jumping on this boat!
    I think its because alot of people live in a "Me" world and they dont care about anyone else except themselves. Its really sad that people cant grow up and be a friend to someone.
    I have ended a few relationships because they were only around when it was convinent for them or if they wanted to talk about drama and I couldnt stand it anymore.
    Sometimes it hurts alot but I realize Im better off without them.
    AFMF920

Answer by AFMF920 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I am 24 and I have a hard time making friends too cuz alot of the girls that I know are partiers

noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 4:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I hear ya I find some Mom's snotty or too judgmental so therefore I rather not even associate with that.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 9:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2010