3 yr old, preschool or PreK1

My 3 yr old is currently in preschool. The school she is attending is just ok and is somewhat like a daycare setting. My daughter finally reached the top of the waitlist to a private academy for the Prek1 program and I find myself struggling to make a decision. She has been at her preschool for about 4 months and I feel like I would be making it difficult for her to have to readjust again. I would love opinions from other moms out there. I would love the formal education she would receive at the Academy but dont want to be rushing her into the school system too early. I want her to have the best education and most certainly want her to start really early. All in all I just want some advice as to what some moms did, would do and why.

Thanks..

KayGia0704

Asked by KayGia0704 at 1:44 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do whats best for her and you.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:26 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• If it were me, I would leave her where she is. I was concerned about early academics when my son was 3, but at that age, it really should be more of a daycare type setting. Children learn through play, and at that age they can start fine tuning their motor skills and learning to write, and learning letter sounds, but I wouldn't worry about pushing academics on her at that age. I think stability and consistency are important for children. These are just my opinions though.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 1:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Let your child be a child. There is too much emphasis on early academics and little bodies that were made for exploring their world and learning through play are being forced into molds that they are not ready for. There will be plenty of time for structured, rigorous academics when she is older and it will not hurt her any to just be a kid now.

And this is coming from a former preschool teacher with a three year old of my own.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 1:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Do it now..She will be fine..My child went to a montessori school and love it..At 3 she was telling me what she wanted for dinner in spanish..the first 5 years are her foundation for the rest of her years in school.. She will be so proud of what she learns ,because she did it all by herself..
    pitacc

Answer by pitacc at 2:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Based on her shyness (previous post of yours) I would keep her where she is for now. You can always do the pre-k when she is 4y/o, right?

Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 4:05 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I had my daughter in a preK program at age 3 and she loved it! She learned so much! And when it was time to start "real school" she was ready! She is now 5 and in Kindergarten and I think is much further ahead than those who did not have the preK experience. She will learn her letters and in some cases how to spell some words! In my daughters program they had color songs to learn how to spell all the colors. I highly recommend it!
    ThePieLady

Answer by ThePieLady at 4:20 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'd say let her play. She'll have plenty of time for a "formal" education. There is something to be said for play based learning.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 4:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Leave her where she is. Three years old is too young to be in a school-like setting. They need to play at that age not learn letter sounds.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:50 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would follow gut feeling on this one.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:04 AM on Sep. 15, 2010