what do you think about add/adhd?

My son is 7 and in 1st grade. we held him back in kindergarten. I always refer to him as my challenge(he's never heard me say it). He is a sweet boy and has such a gentle heart. Everything is such a struggle for him. He has so much trouble paying attention in school. At home he bounces off the walls and is argumentive with his brother and sister. Every year at school the teacher mentions getting him tested for add. We held him back so he did kindergarten twice, but he is now falling behind in first grade. I have been dead set against medicating him, but am I doing him a disservice? Would he have a better quality of life if we were able to find some kind of medication that would not make him a zombie or change his personality or help him focus? What would be the best meds? I don't want to slap a label on my son, or blame bad behavior on add.

mykidsrock77

Asked by mykidsrock77 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• cont-
    I am careful not to give him very much sugar, I watch red dye and preservatives and all that stuff. Iam at a loss wiht him. I do have 2 other children who do not have these struggles, so I don't think its lack of parenting or discipline. I'm not the best mom in the whole world, but I am trying to raise mykids the best I can. I just don't know what is best for this one right now...
    mykidsrock77

Answer by mykidsrock77 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Personally, I wouldn't do it. Some kids don't do well in a "school" environment. Also I get very leary when a school push the add/adhd label and getting you to get meds and stuff or it. Mainly because if the child is treated by a Dr for add/adhd then the school will get more money.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Try to put him into sports sometimes outside coaches can calm a person down and this way he burns some of that energy.....It will be fine some kid s are hyper but try to wear him out and give him something to look forward to!
    Anonymous

• we've done football, soccer, wrestling, and baseball- he looses interest n every sport after about the 3rd practice. Then it is a fight to get him to go. He's wanted to do these sports- I never forced him into them, so I wouldn't let him quit.
    mykidsrock77

Answer by mykidsrock77 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Both of my sons have ADHD, and both are medicated. It was the last resort after I had researched and tried everything else I could find - diet, supplements, more activities, etc. It can make a huge difference to a child's focus and concentration, allowing their intelligence to really shine. The hyperness-it helps, mainly allowing them to sit quietly in class, but mine are still a little hyper. It's a choice you have to make, and decide if you want to take that route. I didn't want to, but when my oldest was about to be suspended, I had to b/c I couldn't let him get suspended in 1st grade.

SAHMinIL - can you tell me where you get the info that the school gets more money if a child is being treated for add/adhd? My children's school doesn't get more money. I'd really like to be able to see where you get this info, b/c I've never heard it. Thanks!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:53 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I think ADHD/ADD sucks!!! My children all have it in different degrees. Unfortunantly, they would not be able to go to school at all without meds. My youngest is not on meds but it may be unavoidable (he's in 2nd grade a failing). They got it from their biological father, he was diagnosed but never treated and now he self medicates to the point that he's in prison. Just find a good doctor and explore all of your options. It is a disorder just like depression or anything else and cannot be controlled without medication. I don't like it but that's the way it is. Good luck!
    stephanie1076

Answer by stephanie1076 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• We think our 5 1/2yo might have ADD (not the hyperactive version). She has zero concentration. It is sad. I've watched her struggle to finish a puzzle she was interested in because she can't stay focused on it. I'm the same way (I believe I have adult ADD) and it sucks so bad. There are so many things I WANT to do but I can't make myself do them. One day I wanted to read and finally had time, been looking forward to it all day and after 10 minutes I HAD to get up, it was uncontrollable. I'd hate to think that is how my 5yo is feeling and we don't do anything about it. She is also being tested for seizures first. If medication is needed we'll try it...whatever helps her.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:07 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• look into the feingold diet, it has been a blessing for my daughter! It watches food coloring among other things, for my daughter it isn't just red food coloring that is an issue it is all of them! they have a very helpful website, just google feingold diet!

marci775

Answer by marci775 at 11:10 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I think Add/Adhd are overdiagnosed. So many people use it as a cop out. It makes me mad to see parents that abuse and use this is an excuse to raise their kids. Then, the ones that really need it...that's different.

You could always have him diagnosed...or checked out...then according to results take some actions. Like if the docs says he's got it...you could try cutting out sugars. Then if that doesn't work, you could move on to like an alternative medication. I dont know. Good luck.
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 1:45 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I wouldn't medicate!! We were in the same struggle with our now 8 yr old! For starters, I don't know that the school gets more money, but it seems at certain schools they are sure quick to label! It seriously makes me sick, the whole issue surrounding ADD/ADHD! Teachers are quick to jump on the bandwagon as well as dr.'s so it becomes a huge difficulty knowing whose opinion to trust. My example.... our son in kindergarten was very rambunctious, wouldn't stay seated, constantly dropping things, constantly blurting out answers,etc. this continued on to 1st grade-teacher said that in her opinion he needed meds to help control it that she just couldn't handle it anymore,
    Anonymous