Any good recipes for cake frosting?

I'm planning to make an Elmo cake for my daughter's second birthday. The cake pan's recipe for the frosting just doesn't taste very good. Does anyone have a recipe that makes the frosting taste good as well as having the right consistency for decorating with the squeeze bag and tips?

ClownPleco

Asked by ClownPleco at 10:46 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Food & Drink

• 1 cup Crisco (or other quality vegetable shortening)

1/2 cup (stick) of butter, (allowed to come to room temperature)

1 tsp clear vanilla flavor (clear so that your buttercreams color isnt compromised.

1 tsp of flavoring such as almond or lemon (optional)

1/4 cup milk (more or less as needed for consistency desired)

1 pinch salt (for use with unsalted butter only)

1 tsp meringue powder

2 lb bag of powdered (confectioners) sugar that has been sifted

In a mixing bowl, blend the shortening and butter. Mix in milk and/or water and flavoring(s) and continue mixing until well incorporated. Turn the mixer off, and then add the salt, meringue powder and sugar.

Continued.....
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 11:30 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• On lowest speed, incorporate the these last three ingredients, just until they’ve begun to combine, and then turn the mixer up to medium speed, and blend until smooth and a little fluffy. If using a stand-up mixer, this texture will achieved after about 2 minutes, and if using a hand-held mixer, after about 5 minutes.

If while you’re mixing, the mixer beings to strain or you notice the icing is too stiff, add more water or milk, very small amounts at a time until you have the consistency you want. If the mixture becomes too soft, then simply add more powdered sugar.

This is a decorator's frosting, but still tastes good.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 11:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I use yogurt with heavy wipping cream. Make natural whipped cream (DO NOT USE COOLWHIP-YUK) - whip, blend in your favorite fruit at the bottom yogurt - chill for 1 hour or until 30 minutes before serving
    AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 11:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I have several, depending on what flavor you want and if you want a quick frosting or a stove top kind. Just message me what you are looking for and I can type it up. I assume you will need a light colored since elmo is red and you would ahve to add color lol. But you could do cream cheese, vanilla, coconut, etc. I will be glad to share though lol
    Maidenwolf

Answer by Maidenwolf at 11:45 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I use the recipe on the back of the Domino's powdered sugar bag. I get compliments all the time!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:56 AM on Oct. 17, 2008