I have the MOST Picky Eater you would EVER meet!! And I need HELP!!!!!

I have been endlessly searching websites on how to deal a VERY picky eater! I have tried EVERYTHING!!! I have 2 cookbooks: Deceptively Delicious & The Sneaky Chef! My 16 month old daughter will only eat: sausage, strawberries, toast, mac-n-cheese, pizza, hot dogs & pancakes! I have been trying to introduce new food at every meal and let me tell you: IT IS A REAL BATTLE!! She will pout & cry in her high chair and I try not to let her see me get frustrated! If she doesn't eat-then I pick her up and put her down from her high chair. (Then the guilt sets in! I don't want her to go to bed or naptime time hungry!!) I have been trying to withhold some of the favorites and subsitute with healthier versions like mashed up sweet potatoes or mashed up carrots with alittle bit of butter and brown sugar! I know she likes these items and has eaten them before! Now she's refusing them again!

MadisonsMom2009

Asked by MadisonsMom2009 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've also read to keep on introducing the same food again at least 10 or 15 times and I'm starting to lose patience! This is the MOST challenging part of parenthood to date!!
    MadisonsMom2009

Comment by MadisonsMom2009 (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It takes up to 15 times of introducing a new item before a child will eat or like it, or something like that. Keep trying to introduce new foods. You can mix things in the pancakes (like beets I think, it makes them pink and fun, and you can't taste it). Same with Mac N Cheese, you can mix in pureed squash. Don't make it too stressful for either one of you. Make foods that are healthy, and just offer them, if she doesn't eat them, she doesn't eat them. I would make sure to have food you know she will eat as well as new options, that way she has at least something in her tummy.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 1:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Oh, and just wait, it will get more challenging ; ) I know it's frustrating, my children have done the same thing. You can do it!!
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 1:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i have a picky eater at home except he is 7. he hates mac n cheese but will eat it with either ketchup or hot sauce. he also hates eggs but if i load it with cheese he will eat it. its just finding substitutes that work. my older daughter hates anything with sauce. and thats a big problem. so i almost always make her something diffrent to eat.
    extremecheer

Answer by extremecheer at 1:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• no sweety, i have the pickiest eater. lol. my son's list is shorter than that. it sucks. i just make something, put it on his plate, if he doesn't eat it, he doesn't eat. that's all there is to it. at 16 months is about the time he started the pickiness. i got him those pediasure drinks...but that just made it worse. it would fill him up so he would have even more of a reason to refuse them. sucks, i know. GL though :)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Trust me, this will work itself out. My son was like that and by 7 was eating almost everything. I would just come up with the most healthy meals you can worked around what you know she'll eat. At least she likes strawberries!! Don't send her to sleep hungry.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:57 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Thanks for all of the advices & stories! I hope to figure out something that will work for us! In the meantime, I will keep reading everyone's helpful suggestions to help get through this frustrating time!
    MadisonsMom2009

Comment by MadisonsMom2009 (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My method. Feed only healthy. they will eat or they won't. Eventually, they will get over it and eat what you offer. Don't fight about it and don't let her guilt you into giving in. She WILL NOT starve.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Don't worry-she never goes to bed hungry! :)
    MadisonsMom2009

Comment by MadisonsMom2009 (original poster) at 2:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I was like this as a child. I dont know how my mom did it. I would have beat me. Lol. I have made sure my son was not a picky eater. I started with only giving his veggies at first(when he was a baby..) and eventually got to the sweeter foods but only after veggies...

When older he didnt have the option to eat what he wanted. Dinner is dinner. Pretty much. If he doesnt like the main course(i.e. meat) he doesnt have to eat it. But he MUST he the veggies because they are whats good for him. The rule is he must try everything. Period. My husband like that rule to be he must try everything every time it is made since tastebuds change and he might like it this week.

Make your rules. Stick to them. She is still very young and can be changed...

GOOD LUCK!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 2:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2010