Help a Mamma out...I wanna scream!!

My DS whom is 2 1/2 is been impossible to put down for both naps and night time. i have tried giving up the nas and it has been a TOTAL nighmare. I have tried making it earlier/later NOTHING! Yes, there are days he goes down just fine but lately it has been a major battle every other day. Today he was beyond obnoxious! Jumping on his bed, running around his room! WHen i get there he runs, jumps and hides under the covers with a HUGE grin on his face...NOTHING worked from let's earn our afternoon tv shows to seeing Grandparents. I hate to admit a spanked him...which KILLED me! I HATE HATE doing it. I really don't believe in it but I'm at wits end. The worst part? He thought it was funny!!! So I ended up driving him around which worked. I really dont want to create that habbit but short of me jumping out a window! My husband works insane hours so I don't get hel with bedtime either...ANY SUGESTIONS PLEASE!!!

coolchic320

Asked by coolchic320 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is very, very stubborn, and she was a battle for bedtime. I tried a SuperNanny technique, where I picked her up, put her back and didn't say a word. Every time she got up, I just kept doing it. It was exhausting! Talk about a battle of wills. But, in the end, it worked. It took a couple of days to a week (it was a few years ago) and she ended up going to bed much easier. If you do not have one, create a routine, even for naptime, and stick to it. That way he knows it's coming. He seems to be playing a game, so by not saying a word, and not letting it get to you, just putting him back to bed, you show him you are serious.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 2:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I feel your pain!!! My 3 yr old won't take a nap 90% of the time unless we are in the car. I try to give him a bath and let him have a cup of milk before bedtime, if he is really wound up I give him warm milk. Ignoring his bad behavior sometimes works and he just ends up falling asleep. Good Luck!!!
    ttfntigger13

Answer by ttfntigger13 at 2:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• LOL sorry are you sure you dont have my darling son with you..... have you tried just making him sit next to you and just reading to him and telling him before and after that its quiet time (no it don't always work) but I keep telling him that its time to be quiet I turn off the phone, any noise, and just make it quiet we read and snuggle sometimes he falls asleep others he is up and at them asap. I really think its the age they want independance, I also will shut the door to his room and let him play in there sometimes you just need a break no matter what. as far as the spanking im sure he wont remember it and you feel bad enough just remember next time your at your wits in count to ten, twenty, call a friend. You are a loving Mom, who sounds like she needs some me time right about bed time for your lil boy..... Good Luck
    wyattgrace

Answer by wyattgrace at 2:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Thanks Ladies! I appreciate your support. I did the Supernanny Techniue in the Spring and it worked, sometimes..lol. I will set my mind to try it again...I just needed some grounding and you all did that!
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Sorry mom but he like playing this game with you...That is what he thinks your doing..Dont spank it is only going to upset you..try not to play into it..my child is 11 now and is still not a sleeper..get yourself a little tv put in another room.put a movie on for your son and let him go, he will sleep..My childwould watch the same movie every day and sleep at almost the same time,so when ever I wanted her to sleep I would put that movie in ( Tarzan)...
    pitacc

Answer by pitacc at 2:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It sounds like he is making the transition away from daily naps... and every other day naps will be insufficient for a while at the same time that one a day is too much.

You are being trained, though. He is gaining awareness of how to get your attention when he needs it --which explains the great big grin. You might need him to be sleeping quietly somewhere, but he is needing your attention. You could combine the two needs and lay down with him, so he has you right there with him to pat, snuggle and lean on, while you have your feet up (because the only thing more exhausting in a day with a 2.5yo is a day with 2.5yo twins) for a much-needed rest. If you happen to fall asleep, too --yay, you probably need the sleep, if you don't, you can get up after he's snoozing.

But as you have experienced, you are not in control of his body. And he is not dumb enough to think you are.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Girl I feel for you. I unfortunately can't help you because I can't keep my 22mth old in his own bed at night. He is still waking up for a cup and then gets mad when he gets it with water and if I don't give it to him at all he will get up every hour and scream "CUP". He goes to bed about 10pm on a full stomach. I just want him to sleep through the night first then I will worry about when. GOOD LUCK.
    lovealynn

Answer by lovealynn at 2:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2010