• In the Spotlight:

Why do he scream so much?

Ok, so I am a mother of 4 yea FOUR, kids, but this is very new to me. OMG, this kid screams at such a high pitch my chest hurts. How do I stop it , ASAP. and any tips on gitting him to sleep though the night? Oh he's 19 months.

sdgd21

Asked by sdgd21 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have 4 kids and I run a daycare and I do NOT allow screaming!!! It drives my absolutley crazy, no joke!!
    I always get on kids when they start screaming. If it's in fun, then they have to stop playing for a few minutes. If it's because they're mad....well, they know where the timeout chair is...LOL - And, they know that they won't get up until they get quiet.
    I've found that most kids scream because they get away with it. If there are consequences, and they are consistent, it stops pretty quickly.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:22 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Oh, wonderful age. You know at that age they love hearing themselves talk, scream or laugh. Just keep on him about inside voices and that it's not nice to yell. Very hard age to correct sometimes. Keep your sanity, I promise they do grow out of it!! Best wishes.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Thats exactly how my 3 yr old is and has been ever since he was an infant :( what we do is let him run around outside our front and backyard to let some of the hyperness wear off, but sadly it doesn't wear off till 5 in the morning:( It also depends if he drinks coke or juices that may contain a high amount of sugar, so we try not to give him that, I buy him juices that have low sugar so he won't get out of control as much. Taking him to the park is also good, I take mine even though he has his huge playground in the backyard.
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 11:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• kimaam- great answer. Making sure they have a chance to get rid of all their energy is key. I would just ignore the screaming. The more attention they get for it, the more they will do it.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:09 AM on Oct. 17, 2008