When to Stop Burping Baby

I am embarrased to have to ask this question since I have a 4yr old but I had to go to Iraq when he was an infant so I didn't get to experience it. My husband asked me last night how long we are supposed to burp the baby for... meaning at what age. The baby is only 1 month old now so I know we have a while but I never really thought about it until he asked.

cat1622

Asked by cat1622 at 11:01 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't have to burp them right after them eating. Try leaving the baby for a minute or so before you burp and see if she burps on her own. My oldest and youngest burped themselves. My daughter is 6 months now and burps on her own, if I don't hear anything for a while the I will burp her.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:39 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I think you can stop burping them once they can sit up on their own. At least that's what I've done with my son. After I feed him, I sit him down to play and one usually comes up within a minute or two.
    crazydogchick

Answer by crazydogchick at 11:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• yeah i agree, my daughter normally burbs on her own if i sit her up in my lap so as soon as they can do that on their own then i think burping will happen naturally.
    hihowareyou22

Answer by hihowareyou22 at 11:12 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• i agree w the first answer..the more they sit up on their own and play it helps them burp on their own
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:56 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I agree with the fist answer also. But it depends on your child. If they usually burp by themselves which my 4 month old does than you shouldnt need to burp them. Its all about the child you know you child more than anyone else so look for signs.
    kaylie_08

Answer by kaylie_08 at 11:00 AM on Oct. 17, 2008