how can a kindergardener (5 year old) be skipped to the 2nd grade?

my SIL told me that her son's teacher wants to skip him to the second grade because he is doing so well in school. I guess he reads at the second grade level he just started kindergarden this year he is only 5. Can they do that (skip him grades) I didn't know they could do that. She said she told them no because she didn't think he was mentally ready for that because his mom and his dad (not married) broke up so his dad moved out and she doesn't think he is ready yet so she said no, but I guess he is staying in his class, but doing 2nd grade work.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 2:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• It is possible and some kids can achieve despite the home environment. My 18 year old skipped first grade. He went to Kindergarden and knew more than the rest of the kids in the class. My son could read, write, add and subtract by the time he went to KIndergarden. The school wanted to immediately take him out of kindergarden and put him in first grade. At first I was reluctant but I had to consider that he was bored in Kindergarden and if I didn't allow him to advance himself, he would end up acting out in class for being bored.

When my son went to second grade, the teacher was very impressed with him because he helped the other children...that was 12 years ago. He's now attending his second year in a state college and loving it!
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• They can do it, but I personally wouldn't. My kindergartner was reading beyond a 4th grade level at the beginning of last year and they wanted to move her to first grade but I refused. I just don't see the point in rushing adulthood.
    MamaDee2003

Answer by MamaDee2003 at 2:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I heard of them skipping one grade, but not 2. I agree w/previous poster....she made the right choice I think.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think she made the right choice too. I dont think moving up with the older kids is a good idea. I think staying in K and doing 2nd grade work is his best option.

I was called on the 1st day of my daughter's 1st grade yr and told that she was to smart for the school to come get her and enroll her in a magnet school. She is gifted and ended up being in a gifted class. Best thing I have ever done for her.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 2:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I have never heard of skipping 2 grades, that seems like a lot for a 5 year to take on. I think youe SIL made the right choice given all that's going on.
    ttfntigger13

Answer by ttfntigger13 at 2:12 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Only with the parents permission. That does seem to be a big jump for a Kindergartener, she made the right choice.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 2:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'm glad she said no. That would be terrible for a 5 year old!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:17 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I don't know if they do that now, but when I was a kid they did. My school gave my mother a lot of trouble because my mother wouldn't let them skip me ahead... Honestly, faced with the choice I don't know what I would do if it were my kids...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:15 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think skipping that far ahead is too much, especially for a 5 year old. Personally I wouldn't skip over Kindergarten. Does your SIL feel comfortable with it?
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:38 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• For a 5 year old, two grades would definitely be too much.

Now when I was in 3rd grade I was skipped ahead to 5th grade and ultimately graduated high school when I was 16.

I think it depends on not only the child but the grade levels involved.
    NEMommaOf3

Answer by NEMommaOf3 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2010