Should I have done this?

Yesterday I wrote a letter to my sons grandfather and sent it...He has never met Jesse my son because my sons father left me when I wouldn't have an abortion...He knew nothing about my son till a year ago. He lives in NC we live in MS...The letter was asking him if he wanted any contact with his grandson...Should I have wrote it or not? My fiance is upset that I wrote it because he said he don't need to know them people but I think he should know his real family if they want to know him. Advice???

jessesmama22

Asked by jessesmama22 at 2:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• I think there isn't a problem with it.. If the grandfather is willing to be in your child's life, then great. If not, then at least you know you tried.♥
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:27 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yea and no. Its something I would not have not done and I don't see anything wrong with it. Your just asking if he want to be in his life so what. Im sure one day your son goin to ask alot of questions about his dad and maybe want to meet him. You should let them be a part of his life if they want to.
    sguy1983

Answer by sguy1983 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think you should leave it up to your child when he is old enough to understand what is going on.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 2:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think you did the right thing, your child has the right to know who his blood family is...and if the grandfather didn't know about your child, then he is at no fault, and shouldn't be deprived of the chance to know his grandson
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 2:38 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• leave it up to the grandfather. You asked him. if he does not want anything to do with the child then so be it. at least you tried.
    Ak.Sweetie

Answer by Ak.Sweetie at 2:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think it's great that you wrote! All children need to know the truth and it you had waited until he was grown, he might have missed the chance to meet his Grandfather. :)

Good Luck momma!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It could be both good and bad...your child's grandfather knew about him, so why didn't he reach out to you and your son? And although its great for a child to know both sides of thier family, its also wise to consider if by his father leaving and not having anything to do with him, would be the same thing the Grandfather may do...sometimes the apple don't fall far from the tree...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• it's always best to be honest and let the option for him to know his grandchild be there. if he chooses not to then it's his loss.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Its your choice to make. My ex husbands family doesnt have any contact with my son just cuz they are bad people
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 3:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i think you did the right thing - because i, too, believe that your son's paternal grandfather should have the privilege of knowing and loving his grandson if he chooses to - and you have let him know that he exists - now the next move is up to him - you did your part - and it was the right thing to do.....
    kaysimon132461

Answer by kaysimon132461 at 8:50 AM on Sep. 15, 2010