is it normal to not have a period while nursing?

Hello!
is it uncommon to not have a normal period or even a period at all while nursing? my baby will be four months on the 17th and I still haven't had my first menstral since giving birth. spotted a tiny bit, but that was it. I did bleed however for about 8 weeks after my c-section. was just wondering if this was common or if anyone else had a similar experience?
thank you!

babydeer

Asked by babydeer at 2:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some women don't have a period for a year or longer.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:27 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• If you are having one while nursing then yes. This question has been asked tons of times on here.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 2:27 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• some women dont ever get their period while they are nursing... others do.
    everyone is different
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 2:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yes, it is very common. Some don't get their periods back until their child is 2 years old. I got mine back when my daughter was 6 months old.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 2:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yes it is very normal. You could be period free for up to a year or it could come back anytime. You still need to use bitth control cause you will be fertile before your period comes back. Enjoy the period break :)
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I didn't start having one until a few months after I stopped nursing.
    ttfntigger13

Answer by ttfntigger13 at 2:31 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• thank you everyone! this is my first time nursing so I wasn't sure. I did google it a few weeks ago, but I still wasn't convinced. thanks for making it clear! :-)
    babydeer

Comment by babydeer (original poster) at 2:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• The average for EBF moms is actually 14 months. There is a big range of "normal" with most moms getting it bck between 3-22 months.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• as all have said, yes it is very normal. I have breastfeed 5 babies. The least amount of time before getting it back was 13 months and the longest was 21 months.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 6:15 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yes, didn't get mine for almost two years, just got it back recently, and it was also lighter than they were before.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 7:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2010