my 81/2 month baby boy used to sleep the night for almost 6-8 hrs. for the past 2weeks he is waking up every 4hrs for a feed. what do i do...have tried rocking him and holding him..but he cries to be nursed and i feel bad so i have been geting up every 4 hrs all over again.

mari244

Asked by mari244 at 11:08 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he is probably going through a groth spurt, some babies during these times will feed more often during the night. just do everything you can think of to get him to go back to sleep without feeding and if it all doesnt work then feed him, slowly he will get back into his old habits.
    hihowareyou22

Answer by hihowareyou22 at 11:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I have somewhat of a similar issue with my son who is 8 weeks. He was sleeping through the night for a week and started waking up again to feed the past 2 nights. Luckily I saw the pediatrician today and she recommended NOT picking him up. She said help him find his thumb so he can put himself back to sleep again. If your son sucks his thumb or uses a pacifier, try that first before picking him up, while you rub his back. I'm going to try that if my son wakes up again tonight.
    TavsMami

Answer by TavsMami at 11:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• It sounds like he is growing. Babies need more food and momma nurturing during these times. Its natural for him to want you to love and rock him to sleep. If he were mine I would feed him when he is hungry and rock him when he is sad. Night time is also more scary for them and they tend to feel more insecure especially if they are left alone. If he is BF then it could be that he wants to nurse to be comforted. He is still a baby so he has plenty of time to learn to sleep through the night. And he still has a small tummy so it could be emptying really fast. Boys grow like weeds. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about nurturing your baby when you feel like he needs it. Follow that momma instinct and you are good.
    naturalhome

Answer by naturalhome at 11:45 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Just a growth spurt. Feed him when he wakes up for food and pretty soon, it'll be over. It's not a permanent change! And if you're nursing him, you'll need to feed him whenever he's hungry. It increases your milk supply. Good luck!
    Kyragirl

Answer by Kyragirl at 1:10 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I personally think that they dont need to be fed throughout the night at 81/2 months anymore. especially when he showed you that he is capable of sleeping through the night without sleeping. My daughter occasionally starts waking up at night again too. She is now 11 months. Whenever her teeth started cutting through she started waking up at night again. I gave her some water and something for her tooth ache and she would go back to bed. But that is just my opinion.
    DanaAndCasey

Answer by DanaAndCasey at 9:22 AM on Oct. 17, 2008