Do I get my daughters dress altered or just buy her a new one homecoming is this weekend?

cheermom2009

Asked by cheermom2009 at 2:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• What is your money situation like? How much would a new dress be?
    When did she wear it last?
    If you buy a new dress what will you do with the old one?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think most dresses need altered. Do you know someone who does alterations? Is it just too long?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You might be able to find a new one for about the same as the alterations. Is your homecoming formal or semi?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Daughter of a ladies tailor who has helped with many of alterations. What exactly needs to be done?

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 2:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Buy her a new dress...
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 2:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• If she wore the same dress to another school formal occasion, she might feel a little embarrassed to wear the dress again. I'd get her a new one. If money's an issue, buy second hand. You can get wonderful prom style or semi-formal gowns at thrift stores and goodwills. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 2:57 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• New dress if the budget allows. Alterations are expensive depending on what needs to be done. My son had a friend in HS who wore the same dress to Homecoming as she did the spring formal. She was in the annual in the same dress at two occaisions. She was sooooo embarrassed. She tried to save a little money and wound up teased for life. At their 10 yr reunion...there were a lot of people that said "hey, remember when you ...dress".
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:08 PM on Sep. 14, 2010