TMI on daughter's private area..... But need advise.....

First off, let me say that please don't bash because my daughter has a bath every day and is very clean. But I sometimes notice a VERY foul odor from her private area. I have had her to the Dr. and they have treated her for yeast and a UTI. The Dr. said that sometimes when little girls wipe, they get a little tiolet paper left in their private which can make it smell. And she does wipe herself and figured that could be part of it. And I asked if she could have some other kind of female infection & they looked at me like I had two heads!But wouldn't it just have a urine odor and not so foul? Just looking for feedback if anyone else has had this issue.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I haven't had this issue, but here's a bump. Also, make sure she is wiping front to back. Kids sometimes don't know that and bacteria from feces can get into the vagina, therefore causing infection or bacterial growth.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• is she drinking enough water? Her urine could be concentrated because of a lack of water and have a strong smell.
    And / or if she does wipe, she she doing a good job?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• urine can smell very foul i have worked at a nursing home and if urine sits too long it will get an amonia smell
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 2:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• try to use a wet wipe that mite make the difference
    Ak.Sweetie

Answer by Ak.Sweetie at 2:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Are you washing her private area with soap? Sometimes being "too" clean can cause problems too. Like in adult women, it can kill the bacteria which are supposed to live there and keep thing balanced. Then the bad/stinky bacteria are free to take over and cause problems. I would only wash the area with water, no soap. HTH
    jdanielle82

Answer by jdanielle82 at 2:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• She could have bacterial vaginosis. It is often a symptom of sexual interference, but it can be because she's stuffed something somewhere... kids explore their bodies without asking permission or describing what they're doing to anyone else.

She needs a proper examination by a doctor who doesn't have his head up his ass.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• how old is she? my7yo is the same way sometimes but i KNOW she doesn't wipe very well and i keep reminding her but still having the smell problem :P she's never had a yeast infection though, and hasn't had a UTI since she was littler and just potty-trained... wish i had more advice for you but i need it too!
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 2:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Does she complain about it stinging or burning? Is there a discharge? Is the skin red? Does it itch? If she answers yes to any of these then I would say it definately sounds like an infection.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Try switching to wet wipes. They're a bit stronger and won't tear. I'd also see a different doctor for a 2nd opinion. Also give her yogurt to eat it will help balance her body out and the thing about being too clean is true.
    DisabledVet

Answer by DisabledVet at 2:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It could be a symptom of something more serious. Please have her checked out by a different Dr. My sister used to have utis and yeast infections a lot as a child, and was diagnosed with PCOS as a young adult. (I think she said something about the pcos being related to the infections as a child.) GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 2:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2010