Insurance

I just signed up for insurance through my employer but it doesn't start until the first of November. I found out I was pregnant on October 10th and want to get into the dr. right away to make sure everything is ok and going good. Well my problem is that my insurance probably won't cover my medical bills and dr. visits because the policy has to be in effect for one month before conceiving. What sense this makes, I have no idea but I'm really stressing out about this because I can't afford the medical bills out-of-pocket. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what did you do to get help?

danielledlund

Asked by danielledlund at 11:09 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• most of the time insurance will take you, even if you have a preexisting medical condition ie being pregnant... if you have already signed up for it and are just waiting for it to come into effect i would set up an appointment... my hubbys insurance through his work picked me up and i had already went to the dr. for the blood work. if you are really worried i would look into Medicaid... even if you only use it for a month.. you wont have to pay out of pocket and you can get into the dr. right away
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:02 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Here is the deal: it is ILLEGAL for an insurance company to consider pregnancy a pre-existing condition if you went through an employer. However, if you were to purchase your own policy, they can. So you are fine, have at it :)
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 12:57 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• i would call the insurance company to see whats up, but at the same time i would still make an appt now since you know when it will be in effect.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:43 AM on Oct. 17, 2008