My daugther is 2 years old, and dont speak a lot?

Thank you everybody for your answers, mydaugther say some words, in spanish `cause muy husband and I are from south america, so she say a few words in spanish and numbers in english, so Im gonna wait and ask her Dr. also.
Thanks

Culikgada

Asked by Culikgada at 2:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son who is now a 7 year old spoke very little until he was 3. It was to the point where I was concerned he may be autistic. He is now 7 and a motor-mouth. When he started talking he took off like crazy. My younger son at 19 months is far ahead of where his brother was linguisically. Kids just develop differently. Definitely talk to your doctor about your concerns, but I bet she'll just talk when she's ready!
    jdanielle82

Answer by jdanielle82 at 2:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• thank you for youe information.
    Culikgada

Comment by Culikgada (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Oh, that is TOTALLY normal for a dual language speaking toddler. Because they are learning double the vocabulary it makes things more difficult for them. This is why daycares/preschools don't offer learning a second language until they are 3 or 4. This said, she might be slightly behind for a bit but what an amazing asset she will have as an adult! We have good friends whom are polish. Thier daughter is almost 3 and doesn't come near speaking sentences while my DS (5 months younger) talks circles around her. Her grandparents ONLY speak Polish and they are her caregivers. So don't worry. She will be fine...
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 3:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Be patience, my mother told me once I didn't talk until I was 3 years old, and some words, at 4 years old, I didn't stop talking, I was like a parrot. Enjoy the silence for now.
    Bluejayjan

Answer by Bluejayjan at 6:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My DD just turned two and says very little. If you're concerned, talk with your doctor. You can also see if there's an Early Intervention program in your area. They generally work in conjunction with the school system. We just had my DD evaluated for the second time and although she didn't qualify based on points from the evaluations they were able to get her services based on her medical history. Although we have not started therapy yet, it sounds like they will be doing speech, occupational and physical therapy with her. They also come to your house so you don't have to drive to therapy and services are free as they are funded by the local school system. Good luck with your little one!!
    anglgrl03

Answer by anglgrl03 at 9:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2010