pro-choice and womens rights

Why does "pro-choice" often times seem to be one sided? People say that they would never deny a woman the right to have an abortion, yet if she chooses to have more than 2 or 3 children she is awful and selfish and crazy? Doesn't pro-choice "protect" the choices of those women who want to have large families, and not just the ones who want abortions? Does it not apply to those women who for any reason does not want birth control as it does to those who do? Isn't that what women’s rights are about? And people who don't want BC are not always for religious reasons, same with having a large family, it's not always religious in nature. But, that should have nothing to do with it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I'm pro-choice. I am also pregnant with number 3, I can't imagine having more kids though... But that's just for me. I feel totally outnumbered as it is... But if someone else wants to, that's totally up to them. I've never heard that side of the subject. My DH is the youngest of 9... So frankly, if you want to have 25 kids, it's none of my business as long as you can care for them... On the other hand, it's also a woman's right to decide she doesn't want more or any...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I agree. While I would never personally consider having a huge family, I would not tell another woman she shouldn't unless it would seriously risk her life or if she was incompetent of raising them.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I agree that pro-choice should protect both sides of the fence. The social stigma on large families I think is really only applied to women who have more children than they can afford to support. I think at some point we have to call for negligence if a woman has 6 kids or more while enjoying the benifits of the social welfare system with no hope of ever crawling out of it because she has too many kids. Otherwise I say more power to any woman who makes a educated decision based on what she personally can handle.
    Soteria79

Answer by Soteria79 at 2:57 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I can only , and only will, speak for myself.

I am Pro-Choice. Pro-Choice for me personally stems far beyond the right to choose to have an abortion or not. I am Pro-Choice in every aspect of women's reproductive health/reproductive health issues. That means I am "Pro-Choice" form: choosing to abort or not, choosing to have as many children as you physically can or not, choosing to use BC or not, Choosing what form of BC you want to use, choosing permenant sterilization, choosing natrual childbirth, choosing an epi, choosing a c-section.etc.etc. Pro Choice for me personally encompasses ALL of these issues (and more).. Also,being Pro-Choice has nothing to do with my morality (or how I view the morality of others) it has nothing to do with my religion (or how I view others due to my religion).. Being Pro Choice is a Public Health and Safety issue to me personally.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• The line must be drawn with having more than ***THE MOTHER*** can care for. You made this argument for the Duggar family- they are negligent, and abusive. Alienation is a form of abuse, they are not raising their children, their children are! The line is drawn the same when a woman has 20 abortions.
    I'm all for womens rights, but that does not include the right to selfishness or stupidity.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Do not confuse pro-choice with childfree by choice. There is of course some overlap, but not all pro-choicers belong in the second camp.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 3:05 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'm pro-choice and I mean that in every way. We all have the right to make choices concerning our health and our reproduction. Hopefully, we make intelligent and well-thought-out choices, though. I'm not about to have 19 kids since it's not good for me, my health (mental and physical), or the children themselves. I'm also not going to be stupid enough to keep getting pregnant and need multiple abortions. What I take it to mean is that we have "choices," we won't be told what we do or do not have to do, but with those rights also comes much responsibility.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 3:08 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I am confused as well. It's a mother's choice unless she goes too far the other way? Is that like "free speech" until I say something you disagree with and then I need to shut up and sit in the corner? It seems the "Live and let live" philosophy only contains one side of the arguement, the other side needs to shut up and conform.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 3:08 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Oh, and I'd take a mother who overshelters her kids over a mother who murders her child anyday.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 3:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Well I would never deny the right for a women to have an abortion but I'd still think she is crazy selfish, etc. Just like I won't force sterilization and she can have as many kids as she wants and I'd think she was crazy selfish, etc. I don't have to agree with the decision to be pro-choice, only to recognize it is their decision and not my own and prevent laws from coming into place which would strip them of that decision.  In either case I feel educating the woman of the dangers and risks involved in either case is the best preventitive measure to avoid undesirable circumstances. The CHOICE is theirs to make after that.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2010