Okay i have had it?!

My step-son is in his 4th week of school he has missed the bus to school 6 times and he has missed the bus leaving school 3 times. I got up at 2am for work and work from 430am till 230 then he calls and saids he missed the fudgeing bus AGAIN. This child is 13 and this is just the only issues that we are having with him. Then here i am at home i don't have a car my hubby has it so i have to wait for the city bus which it takes 15 minutes to get to school then get this kid and then come back on the bus then walk 10 minutes up the road to get my DD from childcare. I am just pissed and at my wits end with all this shit. Mine you i was at the school yesterday morning for 3 1/2 hours meeting with his teachers cause he hasn't been doing his homework. He has been telling me and his father he either has it done or has none. I guess i just needed to vent. Thanks for listening mommas.

raemommy

Asked by raemommy at 2:57 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• One tip on the homework................my son, around the same age, was telling us he had no homework and he really was. We contacted each teacher and set up the system that my son was to write in his notebook what the homework was OR the words "no homework". Then my son had to get the teacher to sign it every day. Each night he had to show me the notebook. I then made sure the homework got done right after supper while he stayed at the table and I cleaned up the kitchen. He asked for my help if needed. He hated it at first but he then got used to it and started having a better relationship with his teachers. He started out hating history and ended up loving it. And it was a great bonding experience for us. We loosened the reins as he got older and could show us that he would do the homework. Just one idea that worked for us. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i agree with bisketliss. Take away privledges so that there are consequences. Everytime my niece is late for school her mom makes her go to bead 30 minutes earlier and get up 30 minute earlier the following morning. Ex: she normally gets up at 7 but because she was 15 minutes late she will go to bed at 8 instead of 830 and get up at 6:30 until she is not late for a full week.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Buy him an alarm clock, and start taking away priveleges for every time he misses the bus. He needs to get to school on time. Set him an hour or two every afternoon to sit down and do his homework. He cannot do anything else during that time. If he has no homework set by teachers (I'd call and see if you can set it up with teachers that you get a list of his homework weekly.) then he can sit and study his text books for the hour. GL! If he's late for the bus in the afternoon, I'd say he spends the evening in his room, and only comes out for supper. No TV, no games. Etc. There should be consequences for bad behavior. At least he's not doing drugs tho, right?
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It time for you and your hubby crack down and change things. Change his bedtime and talk to teachers about process reports on your son to see what he is up too.

My dd did the same thing and say she did the homework at School.The problem with do homework at School my dd did not check her work. So, Now She has to bring it homework home and the teacher wants the parent to sign off on it too. Saves a lot of Headaches.
    cajunpatsy

Answer by cajunpatsy at 3:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Thirteen is a tough age. I feel your pain.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 5:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• He's 13 years old and old enough to know better, that's why I"m wondering if there's something else going on? I mean a child wouldn't act out this way IF there wasn't something else going on with him. He's not doing his homework, that should be an eye opener right there...Why isn't he living with his mother? Maybe that could be some of his problem? Only he knows but I'm sure someone suspects the real reasons why he's acting out the way he is. Before it gets worse maybe you guys should try counseling and talking with him if you haven't already
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2010