• In the Spotlight:

Big changes at 1st birthday!!??!!??

How did u take away the night time bottle/sippy cup? My son is almost 10 months and I'd like to have him off the bottle at 1 year, but not sure how to exactly go about it? He loves his morning and after bath bottle and I'm think he just might have a fit when I try to take one away. Do I just replace the bottle with a sippy and the formula with whole milk? All sounds so easy, but I'm pretty nervous about how he'll react:)

bamsmama23

Asked by bamsmama23 at 11:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-12 Credits)
  • Start now, only put formula in his bottle, every thing else comes in a sippy cup. Start letting him have whole milk in his sippy cup. Try to replace one bottle time with a sippy and see how he does, do it slowly...you have time. He'll start to like different things like milk and juice, and those only come in a sippy cup. If he is still taking a bottle after a year old, only put water in it. Worked for mine...some kids are more attached to the bottle than others. But if you take it slow and make the changes gradually, he'll adjust.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• You can put his formula in the sippy cup if you want. I agree with what robinann5 wrote.
    My son had a bottle for nap time and bed time. We took the naptime first. He cried the first 2 times we put him down, but if was bearable. Then we took the bed time one. It was way easier than I thought it would have been.
    A friend of mine made him a certificate and put stickers all over it to celebrate. He got a kick out of seeing it on the fridge but don't think he really got it! lol
    Good luck and take your time, but whatever you do, once you take it away you can't give it back unless you want it to be harder the next time you want to try.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:07 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• when my daughters turned 10 months i litterally just took it away and gave them nuby cups(the material is the same as a bottle nipple so the transition is easier) and started them on milk as well.. they only cry for a couple of days and its not as bad as you would think it would be.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:49 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• We ended up giving our daugher water at night. To this day she still has a glass by her bed in case she gets thirsty. She is 7.
    susan220

Answer by susan220 at 5:30 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• By night time bottle if you're referring to a bottle that he has while in bed many pedi's and dentists say you shouldn't give milk it can cause tooth decay, milk has its own natural sugars and if they don't properly swollow the last sip they took it can pool in their mouth causing tooth decay.

My suggestion is change it with water that is what I have done :)
    astallman72

Answer by astallman72 at 7:26 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I agree with the first poster. Only put formula in the bottle and juice, milk and water in the sippy and start offering the sippy now...with every meal and leave a cup of water where ever he is playing and offer it to him whenever you take a drink or when you think about it. Try small cups of milk at like breakfast (just a couple ounces or watered down). All 4 of my kids were drinking out of sippies without help by 9 months because they started at 5-6 months and all 4 had been drinking milk occasionally by 10 months (they loved milk). It was pretty easy to get them off the bottle. I'd also start weaning him now from the bottle during the day. Try to have him off of it by 11 1/2 months that way there is only one to get rid of after he turns 1.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:55 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Let me clarify what we are doing now..He has a formula bottle when he wakes up, one early afternoon then one after bath. He has ONLY water(no juice or milk) during his breakfast, lunch and dinner. He has NEVER and will NEVER go to sleep with a bottle in his mouth. I actually have worked for a dentist for the past 13 years so I know the risk of decay. I just don't want to cut out too much formula too soon so he can have the proper nutrition. I guess once he's a year(when my ped says it's ok for whole milk) I can cut out the bottles? I have tried formula in his sippy cup and he wasn't thrilled, but he will down a whole cup of just plain ol' water and love it! Wish me luck ladies!
    bamsmama23

Answer by bamsmama23 at 11:33 PM on Oct. 17, 2008