some baby food has salt in it some dont...is a bit of salt and pepper ok to give babies over 6 months..in home cooked meals

mari244

Asked by mari244 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd say it's ok to give them alittle, like what you'd add while cooking. Just go easy on it, which would actually be better for the whole family. If your buying jarred baby food, I'd buy the kind with less salt or no salt. But once they are old enough to eat table food, I would give it to them the way your family usually eats it.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I agree with the first mom. A little would be OK. Just don't keep adding more for the "taste" baby dosen't know the difference.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:37 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I season foods like normal, and like I would eat them when I give Lydia table food. Babies like variety after a while of eating mushy blandness, I'm sure. And Lydia is almost 10 months old and loves spicy things! But my great-aunt is Korean and I saw her give her grandkids spicy foods, and they were fine. No spicy for us yet, but Lydia loves the salsa at Mexican restaurants!
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 10:33 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• All food has a natural fantastic flavor that gets disrupted by salts. You will teach your child to enjoy the natural flavor of whole foods if you do not add salt, a healthier choice. If you add salt he will learn to expect it, a life long habit that can be deadly. Salt is unnecessary, and I would purchase food without it as well.
    Tirzah6

Answer by Tirzah6 at 1:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2008