Is it bad not to make your 3 yr old child a birthday party for 3 yrs now?

We've never made a birthday party for our child and he's cousins have one every year, is it bad that we havent made one for him, should we when he turns 4? at the sametime why we havent is because we're going to have alot of peer pressure going threw all that and dealing with to many people and we kinda hate that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Every family handles birthdays different. You decide what's best for your family. If you decide you don't want those "big" birthday party's with lots of kids. You can just bake a cake on his birthday, and fix his favorite food for dinner, and declare it his special day in your home.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:27 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My youngest will turn 3 in Dec and I'm just going to give him a party with our immediate family. The same thing we do for all 5 kids, On his birthday he'll get his favorite dinner with cake for desert. He'll get to blow out his candles and open presents. Sure he won't get the party with friends like the older kids but I'm not even doing that for my child who is turning 5 this year. They can have those kind of party's when they start school.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 12:18 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• We started out giving our daughter big birthday bashes but as the years have went on we find it is so much easier to do just small family get togethers. (Grandparents, Godparents, and maybe a friend or two. It is so much easier this way. Do what your family feels comfortable with and go and enjoy the other parties to your hearts content. (Just think about the mess you don't have to clean up)
    susan220

Answer by susan220 at 5:28 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

•   Do you mean birthday parties with all kinds of family or do you mean there are no birthday parties at all?  I didn't have birthdays-and it makes me feel bad, knowing my parents didn't care to 'go out of their way' to make that day special for me.  A small party would have been nice. I don't have money to burn, so for my kids parties, I decorate the house w/ crepe paper ($1), balloons ($1), invite the grandparents, and make a big deal out of the cake, and I let them know that this day is special because they are important people to me.  Thought to consider:  Kids will look through photo albums.  They might not remember their first birthday, but they do remember seeing pictures of  a happy day that was all about them.  Remember, what you do for YOUR child is between you and him-not anyone else. 

McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 9:52 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I read in Parents magazine that the best kind of party for under 3 is a family party. That is what we have done with our children. I did throw a party for my daughter last year when she was 3 because we lived in an area where we weren't near family and she was in a preschool class and had made some friends there. My son just turned 3 and we had a home party for him as we were back near family. We had one cousin over and 2 aunts and mommy and daddy. It was a great time! Do what your heart it telling you to do and making your son feel special and loved is the most important thing.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• For all of my kids parties we have just had imediate family, cake and icecream. This year when my oldest DD turned 6 we let her have a friend come spend the night with us. I don't think that you need a big birthday party at any age really.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 5:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• dont worry about the peer pressure! even if it is just you guys, grandparents and one or two friends, or something like that...you dont have to spend alot of money. look up websites for kids birthday games. you can do something cheap. make cupcakes and let the kid decorate them. your child will be more likely to remember all of the party if its not overwhelming. keep it simple. but i say do SOMETHING...but it doesnt make you a "bad" parent...
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 7:29 PM on Oct. 17, 2008