how does a Christian force God on someone?

I've seen Christians (especially myself) accused of this. I am wondering how exactly this happens. No one is holding you down and forcing you to listen or believe. No one has a gun to your head saying "accept God" or I'll shoot. No one is forcing you to look at the answers from other Christians on the computer. So I'm just wondering how exactly one is FORCED. In real life, and on this forum. Maybe if I and other Christians had a better idea of what people mean when they accuse us of that, we can be more aware. How exactly do Christians FORCE God on others?

missionarywifey

Asked by missionarywifey at 3:23 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Historically, Christians HAVE forced god on others lol. I have never had a gun held to my head, but I do get tired of hearing all about Christian's beliefs when I don't ask for them and being shunned or judged because I don't hold them. But really it's not a big deal to me.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• That's true, actually. You can't FORCE someone to believe in something. However, you can try, and I think that's wrong. If someone doesn't want to hear it, and is opposed to it, no one has any right trying to push it on them.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:26 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• For me, personally, it's when Christians prevent (or try to prevent) somebody else's right because they say "God doesn't agree". For example, gay marriage. No matter what anybody says, those who vote against it are doing so based on their religion, NOT based on the law. That, to me, is forcing God down people's throats. God has no place in the law, or in public facilities/schools/etc. Just because YOU believe in God, doesn't mean everybody else does, so it shouldn't be part of anything public.

Now mind you, this is not just aimed at Christians, this goes for every religion in my book.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Let me clarify. When I say it's wrong, I mean it's wrong to press when your input and what your saying isn't wanted. If someone is open to it, fine. If not, you should back off, in my opinion.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• so by others telling you what they believe they are forcing their opinions on you? or are they sharing their opinion with you? is there a difference? just trying to get a better understanding of this :-)
    missionarywifey

Comment by missionarywifey (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Missionarywifey, people of course should always feel free to tell you what they believe. But if they are told somebody is not interested, they need to let it go. Period.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• one of the definitions of 'force' is To inflict or impose relentlessly. I think you're mixing up the definitions of force. As in 'The use of physical power or violence to compel'
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I mean it's wrong to press when your input and what your saying isn't wanted. If someone is open to it, fine. If not, you should back off, in my opinion.

I agree. Let's move this idea strictly into an internet forum such as here; religious debate. If a Christian is answering a religious, or Bible question and someone doesn't agree or doesn't like the answer given, is that considered forcing their beliefs on others?
    missionarywifey

Comment by missionarywifey (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• When my daughter is PHYSICALLY bullied at school because she does not attend a church, told she is going to hell, taunted, PHYSICALLY assaulted, that counts as force... Religion is a dangerous thing. Historically speaking, christians DID and DO use force to convert... Believe, or die!!!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• That's hard to say, because it seems that anytime a Christian tries to share their faith with some unbelievers, they are accused of forcing God on them. I must say, though, that it is possible for a Christian to knowingly or unknowingly harass people about God, but usually I have found that they do it out of a passion for what Christ has done for them & a compassion for wanting others to experience the same awesomeness. I guess if a person clearly lets a Christian know that they aren't interested, & the Christian continues to badger them about it, that could be thought of as trying to force God on them.

ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 3:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2010