Would you listen to your 15 year old's parenting advice?

My mom and I were talking about how I was as a teen and I told her I think I turned out okay. She then told me that I could have turned out a lot better (thanks, mom) but that it's her fault for listening to me when I was 15 and told her that I shouldn't have rules because I should learn from my own mistakes. I don't remember telling her that, and although I think it's pretty funny it makes me wonder why the hell she accepted her 15 year old daughter's parenting advice? It could have saved me from a lot of trouble! I was never into drugs or arrested or dropped out of school or anything like that but I think I would have made smarter decisions back then that would have helped me out as an adult now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• No, anyone at 15 doesn't have the right to give out advice, and kuddo's to your Mom for admitting she did the wrong thing. None of us are given the parenting job with a handbook that tells us exactly what to do. I'm afraid even if we were we would still mess up. Be thankful you were raised in a loving home, there are so many out there that dream of having a normal childhood/life...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I remember having some great conversations with my boys and actually using some of their ideas, but we kept my rules!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Its great to listen.. and digest their advice.. But it doesnt mean you should USE their advice!
    Sometimes kids can give you a unique perspective, but as the adult you should understand the long term outcome.. as where a child cannot..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• im sure she wanted to have you have some say into what you want to do and im sure it made some sense when you said it. i listen to my kids even though they are 11, 9 and 8 and they dont give out the greatest stuff but if my 11 year old at 15 said "if i find a ride to see my girlfriend, can i see her?" i would probably say no but if she came to my house for dinner and left i'd meet him half way with this.

i think its all about compromise with us and our children
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 3:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• There are days I wish I was as smart as I thought I was at 15. LOL
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 4:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Ha, MomIWant, I do to!
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 5:44 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I listen, I digest, I consider, but usually I end up going with my rules - there's a reason those are in place.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Nope. lol.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:21 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I definitely think that it is smart to let kids make their own mistakes and decisions. To a certain extent. Not when it is things that can harm them or damage their future.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would listen to her input but not let her call the shots
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:26 AM on Sep. 27, 2010