I have heard...

...that the addiction to cigarettes lasts half as long as you've been smoking. For example, if you were a smoker for 20 years, you will have urges to start smoking again for 10 years. I still struggle to not start smoking again, but wonder if it's due to anxiety or hormones?

carol2m2

Asked by carol2m2 at 3:31 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Health

• An addiction to cigs is an addiction like any other. Once an alcoholic always an alcoholic. My dad quit smoking for 25 years. It just took picking up a cig one time to get hooked again. Once an addict always an addict, whether that is an addiction to nicotine, alcohol, narcotics, or whatever. It's a lifetime struggle. There is no timeline on it.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 5:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I am not sure, I never heard that. I know I smoked for 11 years, and only quit 6 months ago when I got pregnant again....I have urges everyday. Now my aunt quit 20 years ago when she first started thinking about having kids...she smoked for about 10 years before that...she told me she still sometimes gets the urge to have a cigarette.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2010