Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can my ex get private visitation of our 4 month old if we live in different states?

I live in Indiana and my ex-fiance lives in Texas. He wants our 4 month old daughter to be in Texas without me. Is this possible?

Answer Question

Asked by powergurlex at 11:18 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • yes it is possible. He can even make it that you have to pay half of the expenses for her to travel back on forth. Since she is so young she would need an escort on a plane or he can require that you meet him half way if driving. Unless, he has a criminal history he can do it.


    Answer by tinkerbell76 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

  • Unfortunately, yes. I would definitely do everything possible to be able to stay in the same state as her.... If this situation does materialize, I would stay in a hotel very close to wherever the baby will be. I would just be too afraid that something would happen & I'd be on the other side of the country. Besides, sometimes babies just need their mama, and your ex needs to realize that being days away from you is not going to be a good thing for your child.

    Answer by heather.huckaby at 11:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

  • do you have custody of your 4 month old?? and he wants visitation rights? i know that in texas which is were he lives cause i lived there my whole life, if he wants partial visitation it wont happen if your in a diffrent state cuase the kid is not alot to be alone or at least spend the night which would have to happen in your case unless they are over one year or age that might go for everywhere but i deff. no in texas. so if you have custody you should be fine....i hope i helped

    Answer by armybug at 3:54 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

  • not if your breastfeeding, trust me judges will not displace the child.

    Answer by adoramydear at 4:06 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

  • not sure, are u breastfeeding? If you are that could add to your case. Google breastfeeding and custody

    Answer by Lynette at 10:42 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

  • I don't see why he couldn't (unless you're breastfeeding). I know that you love your child, but I don't think it's bad for him to want to get some one-on-one time with her as well. It's good for a child to have a relationship with both parents, and she can develop a better one with her father if they have one-on-one time.

    Answer by degsyuna at 11:27 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

  • He sure can. Even if you're nursing, the judge will try to find some middle ground where he will get some kind of visitation.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.