should i keep my baby away from her daddy?

I am 17 and he is 25... In the past few months I've been learning he has been in prison for 7 years.. He has a major drug problem... And he is abusive... People tell me I would be stupid if I kept her away from him. But I don't want my baby to be hurt or takin away from me because of him...I need help... I don't know what to do?????

aliyasmama

Asked by aliyasmama at 3:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would take it to court.. tell them the situation & then they can court order that he must be supervised to see her or may not let him see her at all. I wouldn't want my kids around that crap, thats for sure!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You're 17 and he's 25, that's not legal to begin with, he's a pedophile in my eyes... I would stay away from him, if he wants legal rights let him pursue them on his own. I have a feeling he won't just because he has a lot of issues to deal with, such as prison,lol........
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I would keep that kind of person away from my child especially if they are abusive. You're not stupid you're being smart and protecting your child. Take this to court and get full custody and if you wanted try and get his rights terminated.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:38 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• He has been in prison for 7 years? That means that you either got pregnant at 10 or you just had the baby and he was just got out of prison?  How did you not know this about him?    Either way, as long as he doesn't pose a threat to the baby, they can make you give him visitation.  Now depending on the age of the baby, it may not be overnight but you have to have a pretty strong case to make it supervised. 

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My ex husband is 10 years older than I.... That in no way makes him a pedophile. He may be a lot of things, but a pedophile is not one of them... I met him when I was 17, he was 27. A pedophile likes CHILDREN, 17 is a year away from being a "legal" adult.

Take it to court, but unless he poses a physical threat to the child, he will at a minimum have visitation. It is YOUR burden to prove that he does, beyond the shadow of a doubt pose a threat of physical harm, or has in some way caused documented bodily harm. FYI, withholding the child will only make things sway to his side in court, and makes you appear unreasonable.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I agree with you ObbyDobbie.. I was 22 and my SO was 17 when we got together.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Jade mom he got out of prison in January we got together in March..... I'm 25 weeks pregnant!
    aliyasmama

Comment by aliyasmama (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2010