Potty training...getting started...

Looking for a way to help my son (turning 3 in Jan) to get excited about potty training. Just printed out some charts and will go get some stickers this weekend...heard that is a good reward. Also had someone tell me to put him straight into underwear, or nothing at all, one weekend and that should do it. He likes to "pee pee" in the potty already, but won't tell me when he needs to go.

Any help will be appreciated!

pcjsmom

Asked by pcjsmom at 11:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yeah, putting him straight into big boy underwear is the way to go. Also like you said about letting him go naked for a weekend. That really does work. From my experience pull-ups just prolong the whole thing. If he already likes to pee pee in the potty, he's ready...just go for it...jump in with both feet...LOL. Seriously though, just let him run naked for a few days, then go straight to underwear. He may have a few accidents along the way, but I'm sure he'll get it pretty quickly.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• my daughter was easy! i took her to toys-r-us and told her to pick something out. we searched for what seemed like hours......finally she saw something that caught her eye....she has a thing for strawberry shortcake......she looked up at me and said....."mama i want the pretty panties pleeeaaasse?"
    MamaMia86

Answer by MamaMia86 at 12:24 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• In my opinion, you just have to put him in underwear and he will start telling you when he has to go. It may take a few accidents but he'll eventually start telling you. My son who just turned three on Tuesday has finally gotten it. He would pee on the tiolet but it was like only when he felt like it. And he would'nt poop on it. It just seemed as if he didn't care if he went in his pants. We kept at it for probably three months, I couldn't tell you how many time he peed or pooped in his pants. And now he going both in the tiolet and telling me. Yeah!!!!! Just keep at it and be sure to praise him. We always did and it seemed to help. And I think for my son his sister, who is four, getting excited for him was a really big thing for him. Remember it can be very frustrating but he will get it. Believe I thought my son was never going to get it and he did.
    MyLoves041419

Answer by MyLoves041419 at 11:42 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I agree w/ everyone. I have a daughter and putting her right in big girl underwear did the trick. After a few accidents she realized she didn't like the feel of going in her underwear and started telling me when she needed to go on the potty. I did put some rubber panty covers over the underwear to help w/ the accidents (cleaning pee out of the carpet sucks :P). If you do use the rubber covers though make sure you put your son in the bathtub if he wets in them. Otherwise you'll still have pee all over the floor when you pull them off cuz the rubber cover just holds everything in. Remember, be patient with him and good luck!
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 3:59 PM on Oct. 18, 2008