I feel so bad now!

I was trying to get my 16 m/o DD to take a nap, she doesn't nap well AT ALL, so I was letting her cry for a bit to see if she'd fall asleep on her own, but no such luck. So I went in to her room to get her, and when I picked her up, she swung her head forward and head-butted my front teeth! It kind of hurt me, so I know it hurt her! Of course she screamed but I calmed her down by letting her play with my phone...She's got a bump on her head now :(
I can't stand to hear my kid in pain, and it's even worse when I'm the one who caused it! Has anything like this happened to you?

SarahLeeMorgan

Asked by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:38 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son (21 months) has actually head-butted my teeth on accident too! It must be pretty common. I know that I feel guilty when things like that happen too, but it's not your fault and luckily God gives children a very short attention span and short-term memory! I doubt she'll remember it in a few hours never mind by tomorrow. You are a good mommy and it's evident in that you care and feel guilty even when something happens that's not your fault. That means you will always be her advocate and champion! Good job!! Bumps heal quickly (but lousy parenting doesn't) God bless! :)
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 3:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• LOL yes, but I don't think you caused it. No mother likes to see their kid in pain but don't feel guilty!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Oh yeah definitely. It happens. Don't beat yourself up -- kids are very resilient and I'm sure the bump works a lot worse than it feels. After all, it's not like you did it on purpose!!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Awww, I'm sorry that happened! That's the worst feeling. When DD was just a little over 2, she felt the need to run everywhere instead of walk. I was dressing in front of our full-length mirror when DD came bolting around the corner, tripped over MY feet, and fell forehead first onto the corner where the floor molding juts out on the wall separating our closet from the room. Blood started gushing and I started freaking! I rushed her to the ER and she had several stitches. UGH, I felt so terrible. She ended up loving the hospital and the doctors, so now she can"t stop telling everyone that she wants to be a doctor when she grows up! Everything happens for a reason I guess! :-)
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yes for sure. In this case though, you didn't cause it. You can't help being in the line of fire for a head bump.

Answer by Bmat at 3:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• That kind of stuff has happened to us all. My husband actually broke my son's nose playing catch with him! We still tease my son, years later, that he wasn't supposed to catch the ball with his face.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 3:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Ouch, I bet neither one of you liked how that felt, but accidents happen. Especially when they are having a temper tantrum. Just a thought though, if you continue to give in when she does the whole screaming routine, she will figure out that is all it takes to get her way. Kids are smart. If she does it again, try just going in a rubbing her back or talk to her softly and put her back down if she isn't laying down. Don't pick her up. Tell her its time to go to sleep and walk away. Crying doesn't hurt them, they just want to let you know they aren't happy. They need a nap so they don't get over tired, even more crabby and some children get so exhausted they can fall more or get hurt. Their little bodies need to re-energize. Even if you feel guilty because she is crying, it is harder on you mama. Be consistent or you will have a problem where she will try and test her boundaries. Not fun the older they get.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I've been there! I ignored my son once, when he was crying. He is potty training and peed in the potty before bed. When I tucked him in he wanted to pee again but SO told me he just went so it's probably just an excuse to stay up. I ignored ds. He kept crying and screaming, I checked on him a few minutes later...and his sheets were wet :(
    I promised to never ignore the words "pee pee" again even if he does use it as an excuse to stay up. That one time I ignore him he might really have to go!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:07 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Well, hopefully she learned not to slam her head into you! It's not your fault - stuff happens.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Thanks everyone :) I know it wasn't my fault, but I can't help but feel horrible! She's eating a pb&j now, totally ignoring the goose egg on her head!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Comment by SarahLeeMorgan (original poster) at 3:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2010