Weight Loss Ideas for 9/10 yr old daughter

My daughter will be 10 in January and is overweight. I understand about needing to change our family's eating habits and am trying to implement healthier food choices (ex: subbing ground turkey for ground beef, frozen yogurt for ice cream, etc). I don't have a lot of extra time and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for menu plans and packed lunches for school.

Thanks for the help!!

pcjsmom

Asked by pcjsmom at 11:33 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• You are having a good start with eating healthier. I would also recommend drinking the recommended 8 cups of water a day. Stay away from fast food, fried food, processed food, NO SODA. It is important your daughter stays active limits her TV and computer time. Take her to her doctor to talk make sure you feed her a balanced healthy diet.
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 11:42 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Look up the food pyramid online. 1 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1 grain, Whole wheat bread etc...1 lean meat (Chicken, Turkey and even steak is okay) 1 dairy product. and water.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is the same age and same problem - almost our whole family is overweight. For snacks I keep baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. cut and readily available in the fridge for munching. I keep little Dixie cups by the fridge for some ranch dressing for dipping. Convenient foods are the ones they're more likely to grab when they want a snack. At dinner we substitute steamed, mashed cauliflower for mashed potatoes (I was skeptical about that one at first, but if you add butter and salt they taste very similar), no more mac&cheese except on occasion. It's pretty normal for us to have chicken breast, green beans, mashed cauliflower, and apple slices for dinner. This is all stuff recommended by my cardiologist, who put me on The South Beach Diet after my heart attack and bypass surgery last year. I've got loads more if you want to pm me.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 11:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• okay ....she should try to walk more or do some more exercise,,,,,it will help her later
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Bikes! We started with just one child on a bike. Now, both kids (and Mom & Dad) all have bikes. it's fun to do with the whole family, it's not stressful on joints, it's not expensive to do (long term). If you don't have bikes, you can buy them brand new at Wal Mart for reasonable price -- or even get them used at yard sales, thrift stores, etc.

* Note: I live in Florida, so the weather is good for all outdoor activities pretty much year-round. I realize that in other states the weather is already getting too cold for this kind of stuff.

Otherwise -- Wii!!! We've all gotten some pretty good gaming where we've ended up burning bunches of calories. :)
    FishBiscuit

Answer by FishBiscuit at 10:00 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• My daughter is the same age and just recently was seen by our family Dr. My daughter weighs 143 lbs. but is 60 inches tall so the Dr. said she is not really too overweight! She has stretchmarks! How is that NOT overweight, anyways, Doc says she can stand to lose no more than 10 lbs. and it has to be a family change, not just my daughter. How do you stop the wanting to snack after school, then dinner and then snack after dinner? I'm glad "pcjsmom" asked this question about her own daughter because you ladies have given ideas for my own! Thank you.
    BigMama310

Answer by BigMama310 at 1:04 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• portion sizes matter
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 12:52 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• My daughter weighs 143 lbs. but is 60 inches tall so the Dr. said she is not really too overweight!

Well, I'm 62" and I shouldn't be heavier than 136 pounds, but if she could sprout up any time then maybe that is why the doc isn't concerened.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Lofat proteins like chicken, turkey, tuna, 2% cheese.
    Salad or veggies with a lowfat dressing or dip.
    Fresh fruit
    Fruit flavored or plain water
    Whole grain bread, pretzles, pasta, crackers and popcorn rather than white flour products
    Lofat yogurt (yoplait has delicious flavors and textures to select from)
    Compare calories and get the most taste and nutrition for the lowest fat and calories
    Stay away from white sugar!

Chef's or Greek or Chicken Ceasar salad; Cheese or Peanut Butter (natural) with crackers or pretzles; cheese sticks; turkey, turkey ham and/or cheese with lettuce and tomato in a wholegrain wrap; pita bread stuffed with tuna or chicken salad;
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 8:45 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• At nine, she can do her own grocery shopping and lunch prep. The new independance may take her mind off of the negatives of eating differently and shine a real plus on the whole thing. Make a list of proteins, carbs, veggies and fruits. Have her pack one of each with portions already listed. She can do them all on Sunday. For supper, have your family do buffet in the kitchen. Take a 1/2 plate veggies, 1/4 carb and 1/4 protein to the table. No seconds. If hungry, do something for a half hour. If still hungry, give veggies. Fruit for bedtime snack. Get her into a sport or physical activity she loves and try to do it with her. This time together is more valuable than just for weight issues. She needs to find other ways to spend time. BTW, no snacks. Eating in between is more likely boredom than hunger. Try a lowfat drink to fend off hunger until the meal.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 8:55 AM on Oct. 19, 2008