Is it ok for a 12 yr old that just started her period to use tampons?

My daughter has a friend that just started her period & she is using tampons already.It was a shocker to me i just didnt think you started using tampons till later on. I was like 16 when i started using tampons. I guess each girl is different but with all the problems tampons cause is 12 to young?

gapeachmom78

Asked by gapeachmom78 at 3:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Health

• I wouldn't recommend it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I see no problem with it.. some girls think its gross to sit in a blood soaked pad.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I don't think it is too young. tampons only cause problems if you keep them in too long. as long as she is changing them properly......then not a problem at all. I started my period when i was 12 and i used tampons. using a pad is just nasty......in my opinion. why feel all nasty and wet in your crotch when you can just use a tampon? KWIM?

They are safe as long as you use them correctly! :)
    haydenkmomma

Answer by haydenkmomma at 3:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I will more than likely start my daughter in pads and then closer to 15 introduce the concept of a reusable cup or tampons.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It's not too young but it depends on when she feels comfortable with it. My 18 yo daughter started using them almost immediately, about age 14 but my 16 yo still doesn't like them. She only uses them when she's swimming.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 3:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think it is fine... I started mine when I was 11 and started using tampons immediately. Backing up what others have said, so long as she changes them often enough, then she should be fine.
    ThePieLady

Answer by ThePieLady at 4:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I tried to use tampons when I was 11/12 when started that summer. I did not have that bad of a flow.......and I used pads.

I think she should alternate during the day between tampons and pads........and depending on her flow.

Let me just say.. this was in the 1970's.. WAY BEFORE adhesive strips were on the backs of pads.......I had to use the old BELT for my SANITARY NAPKINS as they were called then......OR without and risk the dang thiing sliding! It was NOT fun!!!!!!!! Trust me! I had to carry them in my bulky purse and hide them best I could !

I went to tampons and used pads as my back up! THANK GOD when they came out with adhesive strips on them! I was able to STAY FREE then! LOL
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 9:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• They have special tampons now for teens. They are very small so as not to do damage to a young girl's internal parts. You might want to take her into the OB and let her discuss her options with the doctor.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 2:29 AM on Sep. 15, 2010