What do you think? Video baby monitors can be seen by neighbors?

I was going to buy a video monitor for my Sons room but I read a review that said to be cautious because if someone else nearby has a video monitor, they can see you too! I know that with a regular audio monitor people can hear close by too, but I am a little wierded out with someone being able to see my Son and me in my Pj's at night. What do you think?

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 3:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Yeah, it's definitely possible. We never had a video monitor but could sometimes hear our neighbor's phone conversations on our regular baby monitor! And we lived in a single family home, with plenty of room between houses!!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Oh, as far as using a video monitor, I think they give a false sense of security. Yes, you can see the baby on the little screen but it's not the same as going in to check on them.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I believe it, I used to be able to hear my neighbors phone calls on our monitor. I wouldn't get one, they are quite pricey and unnecessary in my opinion.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You really don't need one. The sound is more than enough.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• WOW is that right something to be checkd on forsure
    LoVe4Free

Answer by LoVe4Free at 9:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I guess it would depend on how close your neighbors were.. where I live I wouldn't worry about it..the signal wouldn't be strong enough.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:39 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I agree MommaofH2!
    ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You know, people nearby could theoretically watch (just like they can theoretically listen) but who would want to? I mean, really, who would want to? You can envision some weird pedophile, but they'd have to live within about 100 feet of the transmitter, have a thing for infants (which is very, very uncommon) and have appropriate receiving equipment, which they used to search in the hopes that some neighbor will have a video monitor broadcasting at a frequency that they can intercept with their equipment.
    With audio monitors, BTW, the frequency at which they broadcast has a big effect on how listenable they are. The higher frequencies are less likely to interfere with cordless phones.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:05 PM on Sep. 14, 2010