dang it did I cut the pattern too close? did I mess up?

I am in the process of sewing an apron, using a tissue pattern. I'm working on the front of the apron which is a fold, so I folded the fabric and pinned it to the pattern. With the rotary cutter I cut the fabric up nicely to match the pattern....but was I supposed to cut it to that line or was I supposed to leave some room on the outer edges to sew a seam? and what are those triangle symbols exactly? I think I messed up :(

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• With most patterns, you cut along the line marked on the pattern. The seam allowance is included, unless the patter says otherwise. I think it is more accurate to cut with scissors rather than a rotary cutter. The triangle symbols are for matching purposes.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I always go a bit out of the line. The triangle are so you can line up the fabric when you are sewing. So the two pieces match up.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• ooooh ok well I didnt cut out the triangle shapes to match up before I sew. thats a big mistake but I know for next time. Guess I will have to eye it this time. The pattern is in different sizes. I didnt notice a seam allowance. Just the outer line, then a bit of space between the XL to L to M to S. I will take a closer look though! maybe there is.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Also, take a look at the basic or general instructions ~ they tend to tell you about the seam allowance. In most cases it is 5/8 of an inch (just a bit bigger then half an inch). As for the triangles, if you find you need them you can place the pattern back on top of the fabric and mark them with a pencil inside the seam allowance.
    JessieAtHome

Answer by JessieAtHome at 8:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• On all the patterns I've used, the seam allowance is included in the pattern so you should be ok...as for the triangles, my grandma told me to cut the triangle OPPOSITE of how it is on the pattern if that makes sense...like instead of cutting it to where it points in like on the pattern, you would cut it where its pointing out so that you can line them up.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 8:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2010