Do you believe that there is a mothering gene?

I was having a conversation with a coworker the other day, she has a 2 1/2 year old daughter and i have a 14 month old son, and we were just chatting like we always do, and we both agree that there is a mothering gene, some people were born to be mothers, and others were not, we agree that neither of us have it, we both started their because we were going insane staying home with the baby all day everyday...anyway, do you believe that there is a mothering gene or do you believe that there is no such thing and everyone feels like they don't have it because no one does/we all do? What do you think, do you "have it"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in General Parenting

• I believe you could be right. I don't feel like I am the mothering type either. I love my daughter don't get me wrong. But when it comes to other children no matter whose they are I just don't deal well.
    susan220

Answer by susan220 at 5:21 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I'd have to agree that some women just "have it" while others don't.

I feel that I have it. I went from working full time and going to college full time to staying at home with our son and taking online classes through my university, and nothing has ever felt more natural to me! I never felt scared or like I didn't know what I was doing after we brought our newborn home from the hospital... even with breastfeeding and Gage having extremely bad reflux. I keep having people comment on how motherhood just fits me and what a great mom I appear to be... I always reply with 2 things: "I may be a lot of things, but a bad or unhappy mother is not one of them!" and "I could win the Nobel Prize, but my greatest accomplishment in life would still be mothering my babies."
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 11:48 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I think you may have a point there, maybe there is a "mothering" gene. I am a natural mother too, and I feel that is the most important thing I do in my life. I have raised 4 kids, and am now raising or helping to raise some of my grandkids. To me mothering is just what I do, what I'm good at, what I enjoy. I used to feel bad because I never had the desire to leave my kids with a sitter or daycare and join the work force. But over the years I have realized this is just how I am and I accept it and I like it! I hadn't thought about the mothering gene before, but it makes sense. I know lots of moms who don't feel just staying home is enough for them...those are usually the friends who want me to watch their children for them!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I believe there is something like a "mothering" gene or something.. Because some women just have that something where there awsome mom's.. And then there's others that abuse their children and don't care for them at all.. And the one's that don't have this "mothering" gene.. I would expect are the ones that abuse their kids and such. And I haven't had my girl yet, but for some reason.. I don't know why,but kids are always "attracted" to me. For instance, a friends lil sister, at the time about 5..whenever she saw me she runs up and gives me a hug and is always talking about me lol. and when I took early childhood dev. classes for day care,pre-k, for one of my classes, assigned each of us a day to go to the "campus" day care, and help out.. once again the kids were always around me. I think women just have the "mothering gift", if you would want to call it that, or whatever you want to call it =]
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Oct. 17, 2008