do you participate in the fundraisers where you're supposed to sell things (in our case it's cookie dough)?

my son brought home his first fundraiser yesterday. it's selling cookie dough. i don't think that we're going to participate. i think it's a rip-off and i would much rather do a raffle, bake sale or even sell candybars instead of this lol. do you participate? i know they will have other fundraisers during the year and i just don't feel good trying to pressure people into paying $18 for a bucket of some nasty cookie dough

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 3:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No. We will donate box tops and sometimes do Market Day, but that's about it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• nope, my DS' child care center did about 6 fundraisers last year and we didn't do any of them.. that is what pay tuition for!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• No, I do not.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I only buy what I want. I never sell to neighbors or coworkers. Don't feel bad not participating, you won't be the only one.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• The cookie dough one we did a couple of years ago was pretty good. I won't buy it again, though. It takes up too much space and DH and I are the ones who end up eating the cookies.

I usually buy an entertainment book but that's about it. There are so many fund raisers that I could not possibly participate in all of them. I generally just give a donation to the school (it's private) based on what we can afford. We have 3 kids at the school, there's not a lot of cash left at the end of the year for us to donate.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I do. It depends on what is being sold that helps me decide if I am just making one purchase or if I will try to sell to others. Those that coordinate the fundraisers put forth a lot of effort so I at least buy something so their hard work isnt a total waste.
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 4:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I normally let my son do 1 per year. Where I used to work, there was a girl who brought a different fund raiser each week it seemed like. Her parents were really into scouts and stuff and it seemed like they were always fund raising or her brothers or cousins and it just got really old really fast!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 4:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We loved the cookie dough, totally disliked the whole junkie candy tin thingies and wrapping paper sales. The kids didn't get as much for their class benefit. But, you have to remember that without the fundraisers, you will pay more in tuition and other expenses. It is the wrong frame of mind to think it won't have an impact. That is how they keep their costs down. It is how class trips are paid for sometimes, playground equipment is fixed and new toys and classroom supplies are bought. It starts when they are young, just think of the number of times you have bought from others (and I hope you have). One hand washes the other so to speak. Sometimes people will just make a monetary donation instead of buying the product. Even better, total profit. It also teaches the kids that they are contributing to the group goal. Other parents will also notice you don't contribute and feel you aren't helping out.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:12 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I am SOOOO thankful that my son's charter school has it written in the charter that they will not do that kind of fundraiser. They do other kinds of fund-raising and there is no pressure to buy or sell.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:15 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I buy what my budget allows, sell to my mom, and maybe other relatives--I got suck with $100 worth of girl scout cookies once and said screw it!! I tell the leaders that I will pay my kids part of anything needed, because I do not want to get stuck with a bunch of orders, people order than flake out on. We have 4-5 a year.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 4:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2010