Is there a group here that deals with kids who are into 'cutting'? I desparately need some help with my niece, and need to find a group to help me. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in General Parenting

• I can help in the mean time my brother did it for years and many of my firends...Me and my mom reallly had a hard time with it....they took my brother out of school and into phsc ward/
    Anonymous

• My dd experimented with it. When she told us about it, we had to keep a close on her. I would check her arms, and if she got huffy about it I would tell her that I needed to make sure there wasn't any infection. It's a hard thing to go through because you feel like you must have done something to contribute to the cutting. Some kids do it for "attention", to fit in. Others have serious issues with it for years. I'm sorry I can't be of any more help, just remember that the best thing to do is to keep the communication line open, and if you have to, it's ok to be a "nosy" aunt at this time. Keep tabs on who she's hanging out with, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I did it as a teenager. It's a cry for help. My mother was an alcoholic and I was always depressed. Cutting was a way for me get my anger out. I figured I would hurt myself because I didnt want to hurt someone else. Please understand that she isnt trying to kill herself and putting her in a psych ward won't help.She isnt crazy, she is hurting. She needs a healthy way to express her emotions. She needs counseling and someone who will listen and understand without being judgemental. It's an inability to deal with over whelming emotions. I have some bad scars and I'm ashamed to say that sometimes when I am depressed I get the urge. But I learned a long time ago how to deal with it. I also promised that as soon as I became a mother I wouldnt be self destructive ever again. PM me if you need to talk.
    MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S

Answer by MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S at 12:13 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I heard my neices use to its an ugle trend. Please surround her with lots of love and get closer to her relational wise. talk to her about everything let her vent. offer to take her to couselor. Wonder if journaling could help and prayer if she's willing.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 12:34 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• You can PM me at any time. I am a former self injurer. It's not a pretty thing, and it in all reality is a cry for help or attention of some sort. Mine was because I was having a horrible time adjusting to some changes in my life. My parents simply loved me, took me to counseling and I got over it with time. I'm not saying I don't get the urge now and then when things get tough, but I know there are other things I can do that aren't destructive. I'd be happy to give you the names of a few books after I look them up and get the right names, if you PM me. I hope things get better with your niece, and just remember to love her no matter what, that is what she needs the most!
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 10:23 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I am a member of a few groups on here for cutting and self injury. Just type in either cutting or self injury when searching for groups. As a self injurer myself..please feel free to PM me!
    EmilyRoseLovett

Answer by EmilyRoseLovett at 3:08 PM on Oct. 17, 2008