Can you help me understand the disability benefits?

I am pregnant with my first baby. I have been told I am eligable for 4 weeks of paid disability previous to delivery as well as the 6 to 8 weeks after delivery. How does the 4 week before work? Have you utilized this? I feel great and origionlly planned to work as long as I could, but if I could be home playing in the nursery, etc. I'd like to take advantage of that.
Please advise.....

mnwright

Asked by mnwright at 2:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are "benefits" under the Federal Family Leave Act, there are Federal and State disability benefits, and each State will have different pregnancy leave laws. Then of course, there are your companies policies on top of that.
    Your best bet is to talk to other recent moms at work and to grill your human resources department with questions.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• There are only 2 of us full-time here at work and one is my director who made the policies. She doesn't have much information to share. Hope some of you can help...
    I'm in NJ and looked into the FLA, but did not find information regarding the 4 weeks prior to delivery.
    mnwright

Answer by mnwright at 3:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Hmmm...
    Well, FLA kicks in once the baby is born. Your state's disability program or Family Leave Act may kick before that if your doctor write's orders for you to stop work... most doctor's will. That's how it worked here in California. Here's a link to the NJ Attorney General's site, it may help. http://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcr/law.html
    If you don't find the info you need, call them and ask. The state's people will be able to help you find the forms you need and should be able to explain the laws. That's what I had to do in the end.

I took advantage of taking time off before the baby was born. I stopped working a couple of weeks before I was due so I could rest and spend some time cleaning and organizing - I ended up spending it at my husband's bedside in the hospital but that's a whole different story!

Good luck finding your answers. I know it can be frustrating!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• different states call for different laws.. look up (your state) FMLA laws. they will explain everything on there... if it's still unclear then i'd just ask your employer and see what they say.
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 11:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2008