I'm out of fabric for a project i'm in the middle of doing...now what?

Me again! lol. I am making an apron. I have enough of one fabric for one side but not enough to match the other side. It's not a solid color so I'd really have to come up with something to match. The fabric was handed down to me so i dont know where to get anymore of it. How can I compensate? Maybe sew up a patchwork pattern then cut it to the pattern size? Suggestions please?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Why don't you use different materials you have laying around? An old blouse or flannel shirt. Make it patchwork like you said. I love things that look like quilts :0)
    jolee0222

Answer by jolee0222 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• thanks jolee! thats the only suggestion I can think of that would work. I tend to not think too far ahead sometimes, or else this wouldnt have been a problem.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 4:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Maybe use some fabric from an old blouse or jeans that you like the fabric but you can wear them for some reason (to small, hole somewhere). You could do patchwork or do part one color part another.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You could use the fabric you have for one part of it (like the skirt) and then make the ties and bib and pocket from a different piece --something that matches but it's the same...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• if I KNEW I was out of that fabric, I would have made it the back so the patchwork could be in the front! I think patchwork on one side looks better in the front....any one else agree? Or does it not matter in your opinion?
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• thanks linda! It's a bit too late now. I already cut the fabric up for the front side. Had I known about this I would have made it the back side and used the extra fabric for a pocket on the patchwork side! This whole thing is totally backwards now lol. But I'll make something work!
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 4:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You could get a solid for the back, pick one of the colors in the printed fabric......
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• best to always check requirements needed before starting but once you have run short you can either change to a coordinating color fabric choice, try to remake the item with what you have or put it in the I will get it someday basket that soon overtakes the craft room. Can it be made smaller or for another purpose. Will you be happy with the changes if adding a patchwork.
    steveiguana

Answer by steveiguana at 7:35 AM on Sep. 16, 2010