If you could compare...

If you could compare contraction pain to a pain of something else, like menstral cramps or something else what would it be? I have been contracting for the last 5 weeks but now i am having pain with them but i am not sure if i am in labor? Could someone help me?

Married12Kevin

Asked by Married12Kevin at 11:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Contractions in the beginning were just like menstrual cramps, only it was like a tightening as well (hence the word contraction...) But after my water broke with my daughter HOLY CRAP... the pain was unbearable to me. I however, never dilated past 3 cms; and she was already down there and somewhat lodged; so that could have been the actually pain I was feeling. Luckily for me I got an epidural, and eventually a c-section; but I remember them having to pull her back up out of my pelvic area to get her out...
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 12:20 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Well I had a lot of Braxton hicks during my pregnancy and let me tell you, they felt nothing like when I started going into labor. My contractions felt like really bad menstrual cramps. I woke up with them already being about 10 minutes apart. I walked around for 2 hours before I called my mom and the doctor to ask if it was normal (because like you I didn't know if it was really happening).. and then another 2 to get ready.. when I got to the hospital I was 4 cm dilated. The real pain didn't begin for about another 2 hours.

Soo.. yes they can feel like menstrual cramps and even if you can't really time them they come in intervals.. it's like a wave washes over you then goes away and then back again etc etc.
    detroit.mommy

Answer by detroit.mommy at 12:02 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• i'm goin thru it now and sometimes i can't even feel them
    MamaMia86

Answer by MamaMia86 at 12:18 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• really bad period cramps. i get them baaaddd and i would say they feel the same. i would say when it comes time you just know. i just knew the day before and that day. don't put off your instincts. don't be afraid to make a trip to the hospital either.
    chagenue

Answer by chagenue at 12:19 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I agree with chaqenue though, if you feel that something is going on, do not hesitate to find out if you are okay, it is always better to be safe than sorry... Good luck :)
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 12:22 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• When I realized it was actual active labor pains I couldn't lay down. It hurts 10 times worse when I layed down and standing still or sitting was painful. I had to be walking and pacing and moving. It depends on how far along you are. I never have had menstrual pain. Not enough to speak of so my labor pains were distinctive. Also my labor was all in my lower back. None in my belly or sides. But when the baby dropped it didn't hurt anymore just felt alot of pressure to push out. I had him naturally at home with a midwife.
    naturalhome

Answer by naturalhome at 12:31 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Well i had lots of contractions before i went into actual labor! i had them about 3 days befre i had my baby, they hurt and i wasnt sure so i went to the hospital a few times..but the real ones i could not stand the pain..They hurt so babd i could not even stay still..I gues usualy after ur water breaks or they break it for u they get way more intense..Once my water broke thats when they got very bad..Its like a million times worse then menstral cramps!
    aydensophia0408

Answer by aydensophia0408 at 1:43 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• yeah that happened to me when they get like 2 minutes apart, its time!
    CNehneva

Answer by CNehneva at 9:39 AM on Oct. 17, 2008