Does your teenager have a job?

Candi1024

Asked by Candi1024 at 4:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Both of mine did. It teaches them responsibility, and we expected them to pay for their own car insurance. They saved for college and had their own spending money. Plus they had a reference. Kept them out of trouble too.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• No but if she wants to drive she had better get one to pay for her insurance, lol She needs to understand how it is to be responsible!
    cparra74

Answer by cparra74 at 4:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yep. He is a Pastoral Intern at our church & he works part time at the local movie theater. He also goes to college.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 4:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• They did. Not to teach them responsiblity. So we wouldn't starve. We homeschooled so they had lots of time.

Is it selfish for teens that don't need to work, that work to be taught a lesson, to take jobs when the unemployment rate is high and there are people that need jobs?

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• ABSOLUTELY! Mine have to pay for the luxuries in life..LOL..you know, cell phones, gas for the cars, oil changes, dates. They also have to put 10% of their GROSS paycheck into a savings account. I closed The Bank of Mom when their lifestyles were causing the Bank to go into bankruptcy! LOL
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 4:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Both my kids started working at 15. Before that, they'd both done housekeeping and babysitting jobs... They like having their own money and they find they're at least as stingy as I am when it comes to expensive extras that they used to think they should just get given to them. It's made them both more thoughtful about money and the value of things and much more generous... all without me having to say a word.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:07 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• The twins did not, they struggled through high school and didn't need the added pressure of a job. My daughter just turned 15 and she probably will not as long as she's in the band program in HS.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• YES!!!! She has a car with insurance but it will sit in the driveway before I put gas in it!!!!!
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 8:07 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• They aren't teens yet, but I will expect them to have a job around 14 or so... I think it's important to teach hard work and independence....

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yes, my father owns a company and my ds started working there when he was 13 (his choice). He loves working and he loves money!! He averages around $22/hr (with tips) and pays for his own gas money, car repairs and all of his luxuries. He does have LOTS of luxuries but also has quite a bit of savings in the bank too.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 7:32 AM on Sep. 15, 2010