How do I get this kid off my boob?

Really, I'm done. She's 17 months. But she will throw a fit if I deny her. We are down to about 2-3 times during the day and once at night.

Candi1024

Asked by Candi1024 at 4:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just posted this in another similar question, so I'm just C+Ping.

You don't HAVE to start weaning. If you allow her to continue, she WILL eventually wean on her own. If you WANT to start the process, I recommend one of two methods.

1) Drop one nursing session per week until finished. Start with the least favored nursing time, and the favorite nursing time should be the last to go.

2) Don't offer, don't refuse. This might take a bit longer, or it might not. Don't offer to nurse. But when asked, allow it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I would continue to slowly cut down on the daily feedings. You dont want to stop cold turkey because you will be hurting!
    sparklebug86

Answer by sparklebug86 at 6:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You will have to let her throw a fit. Start with the day feedings first. The night one will be harder. Give her the sippy instead of nursing her.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We let her wean herself. I stopped offering, and she stopped asking just before she turned 2. I would have nursed longer if she wanted me to. Good luck!
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 6:38 PM on Sep. 14, 2010