Does any one Drink Yerba Mate?

I want to try Yerba Mate it is a tea that has many health benifits but I want to hear from someone who drinks it Does it have side effects ? does it do all it claims ? Is it ok for people with heart disese? Do you have to have the gourd ?

gitanomadre

Asked by gitanomadre at 12:01 AM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Health

• I drink it and love it. You get the energy with out the jitters. You don't have to use a gourd. I put mine in a french coffee press and squeeze it out. You can use a coffee maker. I am not sure about it being ok for folks with heart disease
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:10 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Thanks It is suposed to be full or antioxidants , I tihink I am going to give it a try
    gitanomadre

Answer by gitanomadre at 12:56 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• If you are sensitive to caffeine or the doctor says it is contraindicated for heart disease, I wouldn't recommend it. Mate has similar benefits and side effects to green tea and it has a similar caffeine content.

The special gourd and straw aren't necessary. They just make the experience more "authentic". I make and drink mine just like tea.

As for whether it does all it claims...I guess that depends on what claims you've heard! Out of all of the caffeinate drinks, yerba mate is the most nutritious. The Guayaki Yerba Mate site has more information on the caffeine content and nutritional profile if you want to know more. www.guayaki.com
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:58 AM on Oct. 17, 2008