What companies are in the $250,000 range?

What kind of companies are going to be affected by a raise in taxes? McCain keeps saying "Joe the plumber" is going to be affected and can't afford it. Can anyone give me an example? (I'm from CT btw so something I've heard of would be good, lol)

chagenue

Asked by chagenue at 12:05 AM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Many types of small businesses make more than 1/4 million... lots of crop farms, livestock farms, construction companies, car dealerships, furniture stores, other retail stores. Basically, the Small Business Administration sets a limit on the different types of businesses. Once your business hits the maximum for your type of business, you are no longer a small business. Each "type" of business has a different maximum. Some, like crop production, is fairly low at $750000 while others, like a housing construction company, are much higher at 33.5 Million.

Does that help? If not, you can probably find more info at www.sba.gov
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:24 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• any insurance companies??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• well yea. my thing is McCain is making it sound like everyone is going to be affected with Barac's proposed plan. i'm just wondering about smaller businesses. like gas stations, clothing stores, restaruants etc.
    chagenue

Answer by chagenue at 12:14 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Most small businesses make more than Obama's magic $250,000 A YEAR. But when you look at the overhead--insurance, rent, payroll, gas, utilities, seasonal gifts, taxes--payroll/income--daily items such as toilet paper, copy paper, ink, and all that---$250,000 IS NOT much. And a small business is anything that makes less than 5 million. So--if Obama taxes small business, he will create a lot of job loss. I had a good talk yesterday with my bil, another small business owner, it is unbelievable that most people don't understand that small business is the backbone of our economy. You start to punish the entrepreneurs of our country, and the unemployment rate will sky rocket.

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 9:45 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Obama's "Redistribution of Wealth" is so Karl Marx--punish those who have excelled. Take from those who have worked hard for years, to give to those who haven't. People see a small business owner put his "8-10" hours a day in--but they don't see all of the extra hours--sometimes 16-20 hour days to make the business work. My husband doesn't get an hourly pay--when anything goes wrong, after hour calls, weekend calls---he goes.  Few employees would want business owner hours---yet so many people want to see small business owners taxed more.  Yet few understand what small business means to our country.

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 9:52 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• There is a tax calculator on his website that will tell you your tax increase or decrease.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• There are many small business that pull in those kinds of revenus, most of which flows through to their personal returns. I work at an accounting firm and we have many small businesses in this range from doctors and dentists to lawyers. These are practices with just two or three employees. We also have larger single or 2-3 location restaurants who fall into this category. Small business are the majority in this country and they will take a hit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Oct. 17, 2008